We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Advice needed for 3 day trip to Devon

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Advice needed for 3 day trip to Devon

Hi there,

We are going to be in Devon this weekend, Sunday to Wed (3 nights). Our holiday has crept up on us and I am not quite sure what are the must sees. We will be staying at the Bulleigh Park Farm B&B which is nearish to Totnes I think. We are interested in scenery and looking at the English quaint villages etc.

I have done some research on Tripadvisor and am considering doing the Round Robin, Dartmoor, Torquay and Torbay. Is that pretty good for 3 days? We probably won't venture too much out of South Devon. We will be coming from Cornwall as well if that information.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated particularly pub restaurant recommendations and other good restaurants (nothing too posh or fine dining).

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Advice needed for 3 day trip to Devon

Cockington near Paignton is lovely, and I'd think about Brixham for an hour, Not forgetting Buckfast Abbey, and the Butterfly and Otter sanctuary (the last perfect for the "little ones"

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Advice needed for 3 day trip to Devon

Thank you for your help and advice. Many thanks.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Advice needed for 3 day trip to Devon

If you like a stroll through the lanes, and a lovely meal in a very old, charming Devon pub, you are very close to The Church House Inn at Torbryan. Park at the Union Inn in Denbury (only a 10/15 minute drive from where you are), have a drink on the village green looking up at Denbury Down, then walk down the lane that runs to the right of the pub. Walk for about 10 minutes, go straight across at the crossroads, then just after you have walked through a small wooded bit, take the footpath to your left that goes across a field. The exit from the field is through a gap on the right hand side, then you walk past a large old house (it seems as if you are almost going through their garden!), across a couple of beautiful fields, and eventually you'll see the old church at Torbryan. The pub is very close to the church. Cain, the landlord, is extremely welcoming, and their food is excellent (should get a better rating than it does on here). You might need to book ahead. Then saunter back to the Union for last orders. We do this regularly, in sunshine, darkness, or snow, and always love it!!

Enjoy!

Edited: 27 May 2010, 10:32
UK
Level Contributor
355 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Advice needed for 3 day trip to Devon

There are a couple of steam railways, one from Paignton to Kingswear (the Paignton and Dartmouth Railway, which you can combine with the boat/bus), and one from Buckfastleigh to Totnes (South Devon Railway).

I've done 'half' the round robin - we were too late to get the bus, so we train-ferry-short boat trip-ferry-train, and can thoroughly recommend it.

The train round the coast to/from Exeter is stunning - and Exeter itself is a great little city. Lots of great shopping, pubs and places to eat, so maybe that's something to keep in mind for a rainy day!

Edited: 27 May 2010, 11:02
Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Advice needed for 3 day trip to Devon

I agree - the round robin is an excellent excursion. Try to include the open top bus because it is the most 'fun' part - whizzing along with the wind blowing through your hair is just great - your start point will depend upon the tide times - look at their website for further details.

Alternatively, you can go on the steam train from Paignton to Kingswear, then get the river boat up the Dart to Greenaway House, where Agatha Christie lived for part of her life. Not done it yet myself, but it is meant to be very well worth it.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - Advice needed for 3 day trip to Devon

Going up on to Dartmoor, I would recommend driving to Two Bridges and then walking to Wistmans Wood, an ancient oak forest. There is the handy Two Bridges Hotel there for refreshments.

I would suggest you would probably enjoy Exeter and Topsham more than you would Torquay. For somewhere to eat you could try the Imperial Pub or Harrys Restaurant on Longbrook Street in Exeter orif you venture as far as Topsham, The Lighter Inn on the quay.

For a village pub near Totnes, I can highly recommend the Coppa Dolla Inn at Broadhempston http://www.coppadollainn.co.uk/

7. Re: Help - Advice needed for 3 day trip to Devon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about English Riviera