We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

Hello All,

We are a couple around 40 looking to stay in Devon for a week but we can't decide on the resort.

We like to potter around shops during the day and we like to have a selection of traditional pubs to visit in the evenings.

In previous years we've enjoyed Dartmouth, Falmouth and St Ives so we'd like somewhere similar to those.

Can you advise which resort might suit us best out of Torquay, Paignton and Brixham please?

Thanks,

Nicky

Peterborough
Level Contributor
399 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

Brixham would probably be nearest to the resorts you have mentioned but hotel accommodation is limited

It doesnt really matter in which resort you choose to stay they are all really close and have excellect transport links between them by either bus or ferry

We choose Torquay because of the better hotel deals available

Have a good look at the resorts on the web -

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

If you stay in Torquay you can easily catch a ferry over to Brixham . Frequent services for a lot less cost than the buses and much more enjoyable.

When we were down in Torquay last week they were only charging £1 one way or £2 Return from Torquay to Brixham on the ferries.

They had also slashed the prices of the ferries to Dartmouth as well if you bought the tickets by the harbour or end of the pier.We were glad we hadn't bought the discounted tickets on offer in our hotel,which would have worked out a lot dearer!

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

Thanks for your replies. Have all of the three resorts go a decent selection of traditional pubs / shops / interesting streets?

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

If you want traditional pubs, then it has to be Brixham... Torquay and Paignton are full of "chains" with little or no character...

There's not much shopping to be had there thogh...(or in Torquay or Paignton for that matter...)

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

There are quite a few nice looking self catering cottages around the harbour in Brixham. Nice and handy for those traditional pubs & best fish &chip shops we have ever visited :)

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

my advice is stay in torquay. my wife and myself stayed at the premier inn for 3 nights friday to sunday, intending to do christmas shopping, the hotel was very comfortable and room very clean. our stay was on B>B basis so we ate 2 nights in the hotel, menu was ok but nothing special. Our shopping trip was at the Willows centre about 2 miles outside torquay where there is a very good M&S store. Back to Torquay town centre we finished off our trip at some of the many stores that Torquay has to offer. On strolling back to our hotel via the marina, i noticed sitting a top of some small shops a facade painted green an advert for Sunday carvery, we duly booked for sunday. The Marina Restaurant was one of the best carverys we have been to for ages.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
882 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

Dare I be controversial and say: neither? If you like Dartmouth, then Brixham may work for you, but you may find Torquay and most certainly Paignton rather 'different'.

My recommendation (and I do agree I am biased) would be to check out the Jurassic Coast between Exeter and Lyme Regis. Lyme Regis itself is great, as are Beer, Sidmouth and Topsham. More great place to eat then you can throw a stick at, and lots of places to potter! For example, you will love Darts Farm, possibly Britain's poshest 'Farm Shop'. Check out www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk for further ideas.

Enjoy!

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
882 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

Oh no, fell in the trap of responding to an age old post.... Teaches me for not checking date of posting before eagerly commenting.....

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

yes i am DAVID 186305. Having read your guidelines i feel my message does not contain any inappropriate content but reflects our enjoyable weekend spent in torquay. we both would recommend a shopping trip of this nature to everybody at a loss when buying christmas presents. Having retired, we have now moved from Hertfordshire to Somerset and are enjoying all that Devon,Cornwall and Somerset has to offer.

10. Re: Torquay, Paignton or Brixham?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2016, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about English Riviera