We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

Regensburg, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

Hello,

we are 2 adults, 1 "child" (16) and are looking for a nice bed and breakfast or self catering holiday home in either Torquay, Paignton or Brixham. We would like to stay for 2 weeks, starting August 24th 2013.

14 replies to this topic
Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
886 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

Hi Erdbeerchen,

What is 'inexpensive' to you, as this is a very subjective description. And is it just the English Riviera you are after or a wider area of Devon? If just the 'Riviera', I would suggest you simply look here http://www.englishriviera.co.uk/ as that is the official tourist board website for the area. There is also a contact us function on there.

Good luck.

Regensburg, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

Hi, thank you for the fast answer. We've been to the English Riviera 3 times before, and stayed in Torquay twice, and in Paignton once. I know the website you suggested already - I just thought that there might be some people here on the forum who also rent private rooms or apartments. We love the area and are definitely looking for something there - thinking about doing 1 week in Dartmoor and 1 week on the coast.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

We have stayed in Cranmore Lodge in Paignton and it was really good self catering accomodation. Facing the sea on Preston Sands and short flat walk to main part of Paignton.

http://www.cranmorelodge.co.uk/

We have also stayed in Maxton Lodge Apartments , Chelston, Torquay twice which is part of The Red House Hotel. With indoor and outdoor pool, very small gym and a bar etc it was ideal in the summer months (Is up a steep hill though - ok if you are fit, we had a pushchair with us at the time to get up it,so felt the hill a lot more.....)

They had a Barbeque in the gardens one night when we where there.

They had a small launderette which was very useful as well.

http://www.redhouse-hotel.co.uk/maxton-lodge

TLH, Torquay Self catering apartments are great as they enjoy all the facilities of the hotel complex , but do work out quite expensive.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 19:18
Regensburg, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

Thank you :-) Will check these to places out

Leyland, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

Have you considered apartments / holiday flats? These can be very good value, especially at the peak time you want to stay and can provide better value than a cottage or house. There are plenty of websites with apartments such as blue chip holidays and iknow-devon

Regensburg, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

yeah, self-catering is what we are actually looking for - I'm sorry if I didn't write that clearly ;-)! I've found several reasonable priced flats now through www.english-riviera.co.uk :-)

Sunny South West
Level Contributor
10 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

Hello,

As you seem to have found the English Riviera site is a good starting point also look at www.swcottages.co.uk they have an excellent selection of properties for lots of different budgets.

Hope you have a great visit.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

Also have a look at these cottages/flats of varying sizes. Although I haven't stayed there they are on my 'favourites' for a holiday in the area because they seem nicely situated:

http://www.newbarnfarm.com/

You definitely would need a car though.

Edited: 14 January 2013, 18:49
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

We have just booked Redlands guest house (b&b) in Brixham. They do family rooms for £80 per night and it has it's own parking.

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
626 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks

When my cousin stayed last year I booked her and her children into Torbay Sands Hotel Marine Parade, Paignton, which is at the far end of Paignton sea front in an area called Preston. The bedrooms at the front of the hotel have spectacular sea views. It is within walking distance to everything, but Marine Parade is very quiet.

Torbay Sands Hotel is a smaller hotel but Carol and Martin went out of their way to make my cousin and family feel very welcome. I also understand that the breakfast was excellent. Price wise I found it very reasonable, when considering the location. The hotel does have some parking and family rooms. The only offer breakfast, but this does offer the flexibility of eating out at night.

Reply to: Inexpensive room or self catering home for 3 people, 2 weeks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted