We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Brig to Brienz

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
34 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Train Brig to Brienz

We are going to be taking a train from Annecy to Chamonix to Brig end of September, then need to take a train from Brig to Brienz. I am having trouble finding a schedule for the Brig to Brienz route. Is this journey doable by train and if so, how long will it take and how many connections? If the train trip from Brig to Brienz doesn't make sense, is there a way to get from Chamonix to Brienz by train if we eliminate Brig, or would it make more sense to go back to Annecy and take the train from there to Montreaux or Bern and then to Brienz? Thank you!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,928 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Brig to Brienz

Strange. www.sbb.ch/en gives me lot of connections, total travel time around 1:30 hours and 2 easy transfers in Spiez and Interlaken Ost.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
34 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Brig to Brienz

Guess I wasn't looking at the right site! Thanks very much for your help!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,148 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Brig to Brienz

It couldn't be easier - any train from Brig to Spiez. Change there for Interlaken Ost and change there for Brienz.

Between Brig and Spiez there are two options - one is the high speed line via the Lötschberg basis tunnel. It is about a 30 min trip, 11mins of which are in the tunnel so not very scenic! the other choice is the "old" route which is a more local train and which stops in Kandersteg. This goes up the side of the mountain from Brig and then through the old Lötschberg tunnel and takes more than an hour to get to Spiez. if you want scenery, take this train. If time is important take the other!

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Brig to Brienz

How do I make sure I've booked passage on the slow train from Brig to Brienz? The SBB web site seems to only offer the fast train. THANKS!

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Brig to Brienz

geoff s

You do not need to 'book' or reserve anything. Just buy your ticket on the day. It is valid for the fast or slow route and the cost is the same. If you still wish to buy an online ticket then it will be valid for any train on the date selected and for either route.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,148 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Brig to Brienz

If you want to check the timetable enter "Brig" as departure point, "Brienz" as arrival and VIA Kandersteg. That will give you the times for the BLS trains that go through the old tunnel and not the SBB ones that go through the new tunnel via Visp.

The old route takes about an hour (bit less than) longer than the new one. But is definitely more scenic. Cost for either one way in 2nd class is 50frs.

United States
Level Contributor
472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Brig to Brienz

Correct me if I am wrong, but the more scenic route is the one via Kandersteg and Frutigen, isn't it? The narrow guage will add an extra hour or so (plus extra connection time as well, maybe?).

- TeenzDad

Edited: 15 April 2015, 16:34
United States
Level Contributor
472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Brig to Brienz

Sorry Hambagahle - I did not read your last reply before posting!!!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,148 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Brig to Brienz

No worries, Teenzdad - but the line is not narrow gauge. It is the normal BLS line, and in fact before the "Basis tunnel" was opened a few years ago it was the only way to go directly from Brig to the Oberland. The reasons it takes longer are multiple - many stops en route, old tunnel which takes 20mins instead of the 11mins in the new one, and I suppose also the slope of the climb up from Brig...

United States
Level Contributor
472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Brig to Brienz

Hambagahle:

Thanks for the correction! I got confused by the line thickness on the map and failed to consult its legend. Now, I see that one of the routes is a single track for most of the length between Frutigen and Goppenstein - is it the faster route or the slower route?

- TeenzDad