We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around Gruyere area

Which Gruyeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling around Gruyere area

We are planning to stay in the Gruyere area around the last week of June 2013.

From their tourism website, I noticed that there are little towns like Bulle, Charmey, Jaun, etc and I am wondering how we can travel around the area. Are these towns only connected by bus? If so, how much would it roughly cost for a return trip between these towns if we stay in Broc or Gruyeres? Is there a day card avaliable similar to the Geneva Pass?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling around Gruyere area

Hi MarcSancy

Most common means of transport is the great train system. Occasionally there will be a route that's not connected by train, and then you'll use the bus.

You can use the Swiss rail site to see the transportation schedule for all of these towns; it's at

www.rail.ch

I'd also like to suggest you see Gstaad, Saanen, and Rougemont, which are nearby.

I'd also like to suggest you plan to walk some of your routes. I was going to do that on my last visit to the area but was unfortunately snowed out! But there are some nice walks I've heard of that I'm dying to make: Charmey to Gruyeres and Bulle to Gruyeres. They're about 2-3h long.

Have fun a you plan!

s

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling around Gruyere area

Thank you Swandav for your advice! I did not realise that the towns were so near that they were within walking distance. I shall keep them in mind. Perhaps we can walk there, then take a train back.

I shall also have a look at Gstaad, Saanen and Rougemont as you have suggested.

Many thanks again!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling around Gruyere area

Hi again,

Glad to hear you're interesting in the hikes! Here is more information for them:

Bulle - Gruyeres

www.wanderland.ch/en/routen_etappen.cfm…

Charmey - Gruyeres

myswitzerland.com/en/chemin-du-gruyere-the-s…

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,485 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling around Gruyere area

There are a fair number of post buses in the Gruyère region as well. And these are "meshed" with the trains so generally you get off one and on to another. Schedules will tell you which is a train connection, which is a train/bus connection etc.

Bulle is a very nice "market" town. has an interesting museum - Musée Gruyérien and a lot of cafés and restaurants. it is also a central place to stay. And is not a resort.

Charmey, Moléson and Gruyères are more "resort" type places. Moléson more than the others, I think. I would not personally want to stay in Broc. One delightful small village in the region, which has several hotels and is well positioned on the main train line is Rossinière. Take a look at that.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling around Gruyere area

" Is there a day card avaliable similar to the Geneva Pass?"

There is a tariff system called 'frimobil' based on zones basically you can buy a day ticket covering a number of zones it's a bit complicated trying to work it out but as with all these things probably worth it if you persevere.

tpf.ch/fr/…carte-journaliere-frimobil.html

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling around Gruyere area

Hi again Swandav,

Thanks for the links. I shall have a look at them.

Hello Hambagahle,

The schedules you mentioned, do you mean the Swiss rail website? Or is there a separate site for buses only?

I have not heard of Rossiniere so I will look into it as well. Thank you very much for the advice!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling around Gruyere area

Dear mostlybytrain,

Thank you for the link regarding "frimobil". Unfortunately, the site doesn't have English so it is very difficult for me to understand. However, I shall try and see if I can make some sense of it. At least I know there is a day ticket avaliable so thanks again!

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling around Gruyere area

Here is the frimobil link with Google translate translate.google.com/translate…

For timetables of all public transport use www.rail.ch All public busses, trains, city transport and most cable cars have their updates timetables on that website.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling around Gruyere area

Many thanks Mube! Your link was most helpful indeed!!

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling around Gruyere area

From Charmey you can take the cable car up to the Vounetse. It's a nice view point, with much of the original character of the Gruyeres area. There are cows and the farm just steps from the cable car produces Gruyeres in the morning in summer in a very tradional not at all touristic way. There are not many places left where you can see that. (They don't ask for an entrance fee, please if you go there buy some cheese from them or give them something for showing you how they make cheese.)

A very good hike is from Charmey along a small storage lake through the canyon of the river Jogne(French)/Jaunbauch(German) to Broc, there you can continue to Grueyeres or get some nice chocolate at the chocolate museum/factory there. www.wanderland.ch/en/routen_detail.cfm…

Grueyeres has a very good tourist website la-gruyere.ch/en/Destinations/Gruyeres.html