We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostellerie Bon Rivage or Hotel du Port

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Hostellerie Bon Rivage or Hotel du Port

Hi, me again!

I've received what I think are the best offers from Hostellerie Bon Rivage in Tour de la Peilz and Hotel du Port in Villeneuve.

Does anyone know either of these hotels well (or at all!) please?

I'm favouring the Bon Rivage from comparing the websites, but I can't find any tripadvisor reviews on either of them.

Trois Couronnes and Hotel du Lac both gave me good offers, but were still above budget for a stopover. Riviera Lodge didn't appeal because of the showers and loos outside of the rooms. I'm quickly learning that it's not cheap to stay in Switzerland!!

Canton of Vaud...
Level Contributor
143 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostellerie Bon Rivage or Hotel du Port

I am afraid that I cannot comment on the hotels you have mentioned. But in a choice between Villeneuve and La Tour de Peilz the decision is easy, go to La Tour.

La Tour de Peilz is a small town that is directly linked by a promenade to Vevey. Vevey is delightful with some lovely bars, restaurants and museums as well as fantsastic views across the lake to the mountains beyond. Added to that there are some good museums and you are within as easy a reach to Montreux as from Villeneuve. Just checked the location of the Bon Rivage, it would be about a 20 min walk past the harbour, through the chateau and onto the promenade to get to Vevey. It's also on a direct bus route. You also have easy access to one of my favourite bistros which is called "Dominos" and it is within the grounds of the Chateau of La Tour de Peilz next to the harbour.

Villeneuve is just not quite so atmospheric and the views are not quite the same and it is much smaller.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostellerie Bon Rivage or Hotel du Port

I agree :) Villeneuve is attractive, but La Tour de Peilz is more so. Here are a few photos I took in February along the lake front there:

tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g1130892-La_T…

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostellerie Bon Rivage or Hotel du Port

Helpful as ever, thanks so much; reserving room imminently!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostellerie Bon Rivage or Hotel du Port

Hooray, so you're all fixed then! Vevey is an excellent base for touring around the area, and if your son is still keen on seeing the little farm we discussed, you can easily get up there for a meal. There are other nice high mountain cafes too (two of which have swings), so just let me know if you want directions.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostellerie Bon Rivage or Hotel du Port

That's brilliant - thank you! Just names of places to go to for the mountain cafes would be great, I can probably plug in the sat nav to get there . . . that said, we may well stick around the Lake if there's enough to do, get a boat trip, maybe ahve one jaunt in to the mountains . . . great to have a solid plan/base in place now though! And I promise to write a review of Bon Hostellerie on my return in order to leave something in return for all that I've received! Thanks again.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostellerie Bon Rivage or Hotel du Port

There's loads to do around Vevey, so I bet you'll love it. There is something lovely about eating dinner up in the mountains as the sun sets, so you might want to check these places out. Here are the addresses of the two places I like the most, but your Sat nav might struggle, as it's one long road up in the mountains:

Buvette de Saletta (closed Mondays), Route de la Dent de Lys 111, 1619 Les Paccots. Phone: +41 (0)79 332 2386.

Here's a photo:

tripadvisor.com/…17058235

Buvette du Vuipay, Rte de la Dent-de-Lys, 1619, Les Paccots. Tel: +41 (0)21 948 04 32. http://tinyurl.com/62j8dw

Here's a photo (the place is to the right of my friend):

tripadvisor.com/…18426172

If your Sat nav is confused, I've cut and pasted some driving directions I wrote a while ago:

From Vevey, take motorway A12 (direction Fribourg/Bern), and after about 5 minutes exit at the first exit Chatel St. Denis/Les Paccots. Follow the signs to Les Paccots (right as you exit the motorway). You will see a big wooden Bienvenue (welcome) sign when you reach the village.

Continue straight through the village. You will see a turning on your right with a sign post for the Auberge du Lac des Joncs. Don't take this turning, but keep following the main road. You will pass the Ermitage Hotel on your left and the skating rink (large covered structure) to the right of the road. About 1/2 mile beyond this is a largish car parking area with a sign on the right for the hotel Les Rosalys. Don't take this right turn to Les Rosalys, but keep following the main road as it enters the forest. About 30 seconds after this turning (by car), you will see a turning on the right with signs pointing to Creux des Tables, Buvette La Saletta and Buvette Le Vuipay. Take this turning on the right. Drive up and up and up and up and up for about 15 minutes (forest, then fields, then open steep mountain pasture). When you find yourself driving through open fields, along the side of the mountain, you are nearly there. The Buvette de Saletta is easy to identify as it is a farmhouse with outdoor seating, with umbrellas. You can also sit indoors. Buvette Le Vuipay is further along the same road - keep driving until the road ends (about another 10 minutes) and the buvette is there.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostellerie Bon Rivage or Hotel du Port

Wow NWL, thanks again for all of this info!!! Only just checked in after a brief spell offline - I've copied the details on to a word doc so I can print and take with me! really looking forward to it!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hostellerie Bon Rivage or Hotel du Port

:)

9. Re: Hostellerie Bon Rivage or Hotel du Port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2009, 05:19