We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guest House Le Charlot - Lousy Communication

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
723 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Guest House Le Charlot - Lousy Communication

I read great things about Le Charlot and was considering staying there for an upcoming trip. I sent an email requesting some information, and received a response from Julien Mottaz after several days. I then requested additional information and have received no further communication despite multiple emails directly to their general email address, Julien's address and via their 'Contact Us' webpage. That was back in March and I've sent close to 10 communications.

In my opinion, that response rate is TOTALLY unacceptable. I just returned from a trip to Guatemala, and despite it being an emerging nation, I had much better luck with my inquiries to the various hotels and businesses we used.

I realize I can attempt to call the hotel, but I don't particularly want to get up early to do so (due to the time difference), and once I get to work I stay swamped and don't have time to deal with it. Plus I don't feel like paying for answers to simple questions that can be dealt with via email!!!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guest House Le Charlot - Lousy Communication

Many hotels and guesthouses in Switzerland and particularly those in mountain areas are closed in May. Of course, there's also the possibility that the owner is ill or there's been a family emergency, etc. If you aren't getting a response from this one I would suggest you try others.

If you are determined to stay at this one, wait until the 1st week of June and see if the communication improves or suffer the inconvenience of calling - if you get up at 7 am Eastern time in the US, it's 1 pm in Switzerland so not particularly an inconvenience. I'm not sure what you mean by the time difference creating a problem calling. You can use Skype to call Switzerland for a very inexpensive rate - I think I pay something like a penny a minute so it's not a huge cost.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 21:48
Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guest House Le Charlot - Lousy Communication

Those are some good points but the non-response includes 5-6 weeks before May!

I know Skype is really cheap, but I don't currently have it and don't really want to bother with a subscription. Also, due to my work schedule, I'm not usually awake at 7 AM.

These are minor issues...it's the frustration of someone running a business and ignoring customer service.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guest House Le Charlot - Lousy Communication

You have no certainty that you are being ignored but if everything is too much trouble for you and your needs have to be met by others, maybe you gave this sort of impression to the owner, it's possible they have decided you might be a difficult guest.

There is only six hours difference between Roswell and Vevey so you could call as early as about 1AM and as late as 3 or 4 PM probably and still get a answer. It sounds, to be honest, like you just want to complain and that's okay.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guest House Le Charlot - Lousy Communication

I really don't want to complain, and to be honest we are pretty low maintenance guests. I made reservations, but then wanted to know why the room we chose was more expensive than the other two. I assumed it was bigger because the pictures don't look the same.

I asked about the difference between the rooms and was told there was no difference, just different floors. However, there is a price difference and the pictures on their website make the room we choose look very different. I wondered if they are ignoring me because I requested that they change my reservation to one of the other rooms that was slightly cheaper if they are indeed all the same. That was the last I heard from them. I don't consider that to be a problematic request, especially since their cancellation policy is 24 hrs before arrival. All I wanted to do is change the room. Now...8 weeks later, the other room is no longer available.

I also don't feel like 'if everything is too much trouble for you and your needs have to be met by others' is a fair statement. I think I have every right to complain about no response in 2 months after multiple attempts to contact them. I've read many of your posts and they've been very helpful, but I do take a little bit of offense to your comment about wanting to complain. Feel free to peruse my other posts and you should see that complaining isn't my style. I just wanted to warn others about my experience.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guest House Le Charlot - Lousy Communication

My apology is given as I apparently did not get the gist of your post. It sounded to me as if you were complaining about the management/owner of this place not responding to your requests. Whenever I find I'm not getting a reply by email, I rather assume something has gone wrong with the emails and I pick up a phone or get on Skype. Yes, it's inconvenient at times (even more so from here where we have a 10 hours difference) but it usually solves the problem right away. Somehow email seems to get screwed up either in the transmission (it never arrives) or in the interpretation way too often.

I hope you've resolved the issues and are looking forward to your trip.

6. Re: Guest House Le Charlot - Lousy Communication

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 13:15