We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay for a outside of Geneva for a week

Nice, France
1 post
Save Topic
Place to stay for a outside of Geneva for a week

I am currently in Nice, and I have a free week (next week) before I continue on to Bâle. I am not driving, so I like the idea of taking the direct Nice - Genève train, and finding a place in the vicinity to spend a week relaxing. I would like to spend time walking a bit, but mostly sitting in cafés and reading.

I have been looking at Nyon, but it seems fairly booked up. Because I am dependent on public transportation, have a large suitcase and a carry-on bag, and unfamiliar with the area, I am reluctant to book without some advice. I would like to be able to go on to Bâle at the end of my stay with a minimum number of connections.

Are there any other little towns that are easy to get to that would meet my needs?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2 replies to this topic
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay for a outside of Geneva for a week

Hi zoë faivre w,

Yes, Nyon is a good choice -- there are some Roman ruins in town and nearby, and some nice excursions you can make using the ferries that cross the lake.

I would also recommend the lovely town of Morges. It has a cobbled pedestrian shopping street and a lovely lakeside promenade. I've heard that the promenade extends as far as Lausanne, but I haven't walked it myself. There is some nice walking you can do in the hills behind the town; I have a map for some of them, but again I haven't actually walked any of them. You may want to know that Audrey Hepburn spent her last years just outside of Morges. Morges is on the main train line between Geneva and Lausanne.

Or you may want to consider staying in Lutry, though it may be too far as it lies on the other side of Lausanne. It is a sweet and picturesque winegrowing village, and you can easily walk through the vineyards and along the lake from there. Lutry is on the main train line between Lausanne and Montreux.

Hope you find the right place!

s

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay for a outside of Geneva for a week

I have just booked this B&B in Nyon for when I visit Switzerland.

Maybe this will help.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g198830-d799433…

Reply to: Place to stay for a outside of Geneva for a week
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nyon