We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel in Pontresina or Sils?

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
165 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel in Pontresina or Sils?

I have narrowed it down to the Chesa Radolina in Sils Baselgia or the Seraina in Sils Maria or La Collina in Pontresina. Looking for a small hotel with charm, pretty scenery, access to public transportation, and a few local restaurants in the area. I know that Sils M and Sils B are small, how small? Are there shops and restaurants? Is Sils B difficult for transportation? Losing sleep over this. Thanks

Germany
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel in Pontresina or Sils?

Of these hotels, I've only ever been to Seraina and we like it there. Sils is located in a kind of "U" off the main highway from St. Moritz. Sils Maria is on one arm of the U, Sils Baselgia on the other. Most of the shops and the post office are on the Maria-side or the bottom of the U. The supermarket, the post, the bus stop, the bakery, etc. are all very convenient to reach from Seraina, less so from Randolina. It's mostly just houses & hotels in Baselgia but you are closer to the lake. It looks like there's a bus stop there too though. Randolina is somewhere my elderly Swiss in-laws used to go. You will probably receive more personal attention there and I think it might be slightly more upscale. Their lounge with fireplace looks very nice. My husband and I are 40-something on average and we would prefer Seraina. They installed a wellness area a few years ago which mostly looks like a sauna. There is a sporting goods store ("Giovanoli", a famous Swiss ski champion) in the same building, and the Giovanoli-Kohler family runs the hotel. Both hotels offer a free bus pass and area cable car pass in summer.

La Collina looks like a nice place if you had a car. It seems to be up on a hillside overlooking Pontresina. Not sure how you get there by public transportation - if you're lucky they will pick you up at the bus stop. Pontresina is larger than Sils but Sils is car-free.

Hope that helps! When is your trip, this summer?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel in Pontresina or Sils?

Dont loose sleep over this, you cant go wrong with any of them.

In Sils as well as Pontresina there are many small hotels with personal attention by a the owner-managers. Both villages are relatively small, scenery is pretty almost everywhere in the valley, access to public transportation is easy, but up from St. Moritz (so Sils) it's just the bus, as the train tracks end in St. Moritz, Pontresina is in a collateral valley of the Engadin. Local restaurants in the area are all within walking distance (as said, the villages are small).

If you want to know how small, have a look at the goodle maps to see their size.

There are restaurants in all the villages and the hotels you mention have their restaurants as well. As for shops, it depends what you are looking for. Each village has at least a grocery store or a backery. For a supermarket (small size, not what you are used in US) you would have to go to St. Moritz or Pontresina or Samedan. Boutiques, jewellers and high-end designer shops are in St. Moritz only, but you could easily visit from the other villages. Newspapers and souvenirs are sold in kiosks almost everywere. For special shops, please indicate.

To your hotel choice:

Chesa Randolina is a nice place with lake-view in Sils. It has a bus stop nearby, but it is not centrally located in the village. It is rather between Sils Baselgia (means church) and Sils Maria, but not more than 5 minutes walking to each of them. But you would not need restaurants, as far as I know their hotel prizes are half-board, so you have breakfast and dinner at the hotel. It's owner-managed.

Hotel Seraina is right in the center of Sils-Maria and it's newly remodeled. If you go during summer time, you cant miss it, as everybody passing by has automatically to stop there to admire the vast flower garden. They plant everything that might grow in our altitude. The hotel is very good and gets good reviews. It's ovner-managed and guests are taken care of very well.

Both these hotels have a cozy alpine interior with the local wood.

Hotel La Collina is centrally located in Pontresina, near hotel Walther and slightly uphill from the main street. I have not been there recently, but there was a huge construction going on in the area. I dont know if it is finished by now, but I doubt so. I dont know the manager not the interior, but as from their website, this is not the typical local wood interior. I however would not want to give a judgement as I dont know it personally.

As for transportation, check the timetable on www.sbb.ch, put your hotel as the staring point and your destination and you will get the travel time and the necessary changes to get there. Local transport is very good and efficient in the valley.

You dont mention when you plan to be here. Should this be during the summer season, make sure your hotel participates in the "mountain cablecars included" special with two or more nights. This is a great deal. If you are not staying centrally (St. Moritz or Celerina), choose the one with the two icons (picture of the gondola AND the bus) to have all public transport means included, as you will need this. From Sils, an excursion to the Bregaglia valley and the nice farmers village Sogliio would make sense, this would be included with the 3 icons (the two already mentioned and in addition the star). See here for details: …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
165 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel in Pontresina or Sils?

SuzyQ and Engadiner,

Your detailed answers have been invaluable to me. Thank you for taking the time and interest. After looking at the hotel options we have decided that La Collina best fits our needs with location and non-smoking hotel.

I will be posting another question in a new heading in the Egadin forum regarding help with my itinerary and transportation. If you have any input, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you

4. Re: Which hotel in Pontresina or Sils?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 10:16