We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from St Moritz to Pontresina

Which Pontresina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from St Moritz to Pontresina

Hello All,

I was planning to book Berghaus Diavolezza Hotel at Pontesina for 3 nights for myself and husband for a 3 night stay in mid Sep, however slightly nervous after reading the reviews regarding transportation on this forum. Though I understand there is a bus service from St. Moritz upto Pontresina:

- how easy is it to carry luggage (2 cabin trolley bags+2 backpacks) in the bus?

- How is the bus service in general, are the buses frequent if you need to go to St Moritz?

- For exploring Upper Engadine area, suggestions are welcome for any other budget hotel/accommodation. I liked Berghaus Diavolezza as the views are scenic and they have a good summer offer of half board+free transportation on lifts/gondola etc. We would like to few easy hiking trips in the Engadine area and it seems to be a good base.

Kindly advise. Thanks a lot.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,517 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from St Moritz to Pontresina

Hi there,

Well both Pontresina town and the ground station of Diavolezza cable car have their own train station, hence train is more logical than bus. But all depends on whether cable car usage is included in the Berghaus price, it seems t is.

Timewise it is not the most clever base, as the first step to take before any trek elsewhere is a 15-20 mins cable car ride downhill. But if it gets compensated by the relative low price and the brilliant vistas, why not...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from St Moritz to Pontresina

You seem not to have had a look at the location of Berghaus Diavolezza: this is a hotel in the most beautiful high-alpine spot you would probably find, however it is on the TOP of a mountain, not in the village of Pontresina, Please have a look at this on maps.google.com - you need to transfer from everywhere to the cablecar-valley station and from there up to the mountain and back each time you want to go somewhere. Diavolezza is a phantastic place for an overnight stay - one of my favourites and I live here, but from time to time I go up to stay overnight just for the sensation of it. After the last cablecar has left, the few alpinists (and perhaps you) are amoung themselves, just nature all around. As there is no light pollution up there, you can enjoy the starry night and with a full moon the surrounding mountains reflect the light and add to the magic of the place.

However I would not stay 3 nights there, far too remote to commute. And with two or more nights, many of the hotels will offer you the cablecars included, some even the whole local public transport. See the list here: …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/ - even inexpensive hotels take part in this special.

To your original question: there is the train as well as the bus commuting between St. Moritz and Pontresina. Check ALL your public transport timetables on www.sbb.ch

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from St Moritz to Pontresina

Thank you so much for your replies. I am beginning to get some insight finally:)

Dear Engadiner, BERGHAUS DIAVOLEZZA being in remote location - does that mean you cant step out of the hotel to go anywhere once the last cable car leaves downhill in the evening which I believe would be just after sunset or quite early which would mean for the rest of the evening you are stuck in the hotel? Well, while we both love fantastic views and cable cars and don't mind a bit of ride every time, if the last cable car finishes too early in the evening, it makes no sense.

Can you pls. recommend any other well connected hotel in the village. I will also check out the link you have sent to me.

Thanks again. This message board is a life saver really.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from St Moritz to Pontresina

Check out the link and you will find that they are all marked on the map - this should help you find what you want. The prizes are publised, so no surprise there.

And you can step out of the Berghous Diavolezza of course, it's no prison. Just the radius where you can move is limited, unless you have the necessary equipment to go mountaineering. There are spectacular climbing and touring routes to do from there with a guide or some shorter very panoramic hikes you can do with just the right shoes and without a guide.

5. Re: Transportation from St Moritz to Pontresina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 15:15