We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

Which Verbier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

I am going to Verbier in mid July from Geneva airport. The train time table indicates that I can take train from Geneva to Martigny, arriving at Martigny at 11:11 am, and then switch to a smaller train at Le Chable. The small train departs Martigny at 11:13 am. Is this enough time for a switch? I have never been at that station before.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

Also, do you have any other suggestions for how to get to Verbier from Geneva airport in summer? We are two people with a lot of luggage so would have preferred to go with door to door transportation but private taxi seems too expensive and we don't see any shared shuttles available in July.

Verbier, Switzerland
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

Alpy bus or Alpine Express may have shuttles work in July check their web site.

A Private pick is going to cost about 500 - 700 chuffs.

The train is the best option, the train station is in the airport, and its a direct train to Martigny.

Maybe a train from Martigny to Verbier is a good option (to save carrying bags).#Call/email maytaxi in Verbier to pick you up from Martigny.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,883 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

Alpybus gets terrible reviews on TA - you might check these out before booking! Otherwise www.alpinexpress.com runs group transfers from the airport right to Verbier.

If you do take the train, your train will arrive on platform 2 here in Martigny. the train to le Châble leaves from the far side of platform 1. Take the underpass and turn left up the ramp, then up the short flight of steps. The train will be right there. At le Châble you take the post bus (which should be waiting for the train at the tiny station) to Verbier. Or you can walk over to the télécabine and take that up. However be aware that there is no lift up to the télécabine platform and you would have to carry your luggage up two flights of steep stairs. Not very user friendly! Also the télécabine takes you to Médran. Depending on where you are going in Verbier this might or might not be convenient. And also be aware that the Verbier Festival will be on when you get there and the village will be very full.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

I don't think a private pick up is quite as expensive as said above. 400-450 is more normal. But - yes - that's still expensive.

You could rent a car. That is sometimes a reasonable solution for 2 people depending on what deal you can get.

If you are coming during/to the Festival, there is a car sharing service. I hadn't heard of it before but it's in the access information on the Festival website. Sort of suggests that the winter-style shared shuttles won't be running...

Verbier, Switzerland
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

Luv to find a company that will do a private pick up for 400 bucks?

Event the "Black" pick ups are 550 chfs

Verbier, Switzerland
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

We have a Facebook group that we use in Verbier to share lifts to Geneva airport etc.

https:/…

You could have a look, or put up a post and you might get lucky.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,883 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

Taxi Alpina takes me from Martigny to the airport for 400frs. I find this reasonable given the time involved. They also serve Verbier.

Verbier, Switzerland
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

And 150 from Verbier to Martigny?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

Thank you so much for the detailed responses. So from your description of the trains in Martigny station it seems that two minutes maybe too short time to get out of the train arriving to Martigny from the airport and get on the train departing Martigny to Le Chable. What do you think?

Verbier, Switzerland
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

It can be done, and Swiss trains do run on time..

If you miss the connection its about 40 minutes until the next one.

Where are you staying once you get to Verbier?> (thinking about carrying bags etc)