We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

I am going to Verbier in mid July from Geneva airport. The train time table indicates that I can take train from Geneva to Martigny, arriving at Martigny at 11:11 am, and then switch to a smaller train at Le Chable. The small train departs Martigny at 11:13 am. Is this enough time for a switch? I have never been at that station before.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Martigny
Martigny
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,246 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

the train to le Châble will wait to leave until passengers from the incoming train from Geneva have boarded the le Châble train. I have never once seen them leave people running towards the train!! And they know very well when the Geneva train will come in - they can hear the announcement.

Trains Martigny to le Châble do not run every 40 mins. In fact the wait between trains averages an hour or slightly more.

Buses in Verbier are free. If you come up by the bus from le Châble you arrive at the post office. Leave that and walk across the street and down the stairs. Bus stop will be in front of you. All the buses leaving there go to Médran and to Savolèyres. then some go up to Carrefour and some to the Hameau while another route goes to Pâtiers. it is important to know which one to take. And we can tell you which if you let us know where you will be staying! If you have friends meeting you ask them to get you in le Châble. It would save a lot of hassle and the drive down is only 15mins.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

Around CHF450 from Alpina has been what I have been paying this winter. And they certainly aren't 'black'. And it's the rate that comes up if you book online - nothing special.

And yes, it is CHF150 from Verbier to Martigny. But it doesn't surprise me that a transfer from Martigny is CHF400, and Verbier CHF450.

In fairness, I have never used them to pick up - only drop off at the airport. There's more waiting time for that so maybe their price differs.

Mentioned in this post
Martigny
Martigny
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,246 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

Their quote to me (and indeed the prices I paid) were the same for a trip to or from the airport. They have always provided good service... last time when they thought I had my golf clubs with me (I didn't - I had sent them to Sion via Fly Baggage) they even sent a van to get me. And did not charge any extra.

Mentioned in this post
Sion
Sion
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

I was just about to buy the train tickets when I saw that the time tables at sbb indicate that the trains from Martigny to le Chable are cancelled until July 17. Am I misunderstanding this? Also, it is written now that the take off platform at Martigny is platform 50.

Mentioned in this post
Martigny
Martigny
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

Yes, you are right. Trains are cancelled from 30th June to 17th July because of building works. A replacement bus service is running, but the journey will take a bit longer than usual.

I assume the buses will leave from just in front of the (small) station, finding them should be very easy.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,246 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

The bus will leave from the bus stop which is not in front of the station anymore. Martigny station has been totally remodelled and somewhat enlarged. There are several bus stops now to the left of the entrance to the station. Get off your train, go to platform 1 and then around the station building. Look LEFT. You will see the bus. (Once the Verbier Festival starts the trains will run as normal again to le Châble). I don't think the bus will take significantly longer than the train does.

Mentioned in this post
Martigny
Martigny
Verbier
Level Contributor
20 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

You will be fine, the train leaves at that time so it can collect passengers from your train.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,246 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

JulianGriffiths - the issue at hand right now is that there are NO trains from Martigny to le Châble because of work on the line. there is a replacement bus. And the question was - where it left from at the Martigny station...which has been answered. You are new to TA - it is not a bad idea to make a habit of reading all the posts on a thread before replying. Otherwise things can get confused.

Mentioned in this post
Martigny
Martigny
19. Re: are 2 min. enough to switch trains at Martigny?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:15