We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villars Sur Ollon

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Villars Sur Ollon

We are planning a family ski trip for a week in February of 2012. WE are six adults with skiers from low intermediate through advanced. We want some restaurants, shopping, and activities for those not skiing everyday. We would like not to have to rent a car. We would rather use public transportation. Would Villars Sur Ollon be the right choice? Is there a variety of skiing and things to do nearby?

Also, through RCI we can get Residence Panorama. Does anyone know about it?

Thanks very much.

46 replies to this topic
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villars Sur Ollon

Villars certainly fits the bill for not needing a car, you can get from the valley to the resort by either train or bus, and also right onto the pistes by train.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,576 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villars Sur Ollon

Résidence Panorama is well located for the shops in the centre of Villars and for the station to go to t he Col de la Bretaye to ski. Villars skiing will suit your low intermediates but will not be very challenging for the advanced skiers. Villars is very pretty and easily accessible by bus from Aigle station (all the trains from Geneva airport stop here) and by train from Bex (only one train per hour from the airport stops in Bex).

Villars also has a fair amount of non skiing activities. Good walks, raquettes, a very nice ice rink etc. AND it is very very easy to get from Villars to Lausanne or montreux for a day trip...

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villars Sur Ollon

Thanks for the replies. Can you tell me if it is difficult for the advanced skiers to access more challenging skiing. I thought there was some interconnection with harder skiing. Do you have any information on that?

Thank you.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,576 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villars Sur Ollon

There is a lift that connects Villars and Diablerets. The problem is that the high skiing in Diablerets is on the glacier and the village lifts at isenau do not take you up there. You need to go over there and take the bus to the Col du Pillon, and the Glacier 3000 lift from there. The skiing ON the glacieris not at all advanced. It is rather flat. On the other hand, the skiing DOWN from the glacier is reasonably challenging. But I would find it hard to find any areas in the Vilalrs-Diablerets ski areas that are equal to, say, Tortin or the Gentianes in Verbier...

But don't be tempted to go to Verbier this winter... see my post on that!!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villars Sur Ollon

Thank you. Very helpful.

Nottingham, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villars Sur Ollon

could you tell me which is better-I am arriving into Geneva airport at 16:00 on Thursday and need to get to Villars. Is it easier to get a train from Bex or a bus from Aigle in terms of frequency of transport. i am travelling alone and don't want to be stranded somewhere! many thanks.Clare

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villars Sur Ollon

It all depends what time you get out of the airport proper and into the station:

Trains to Aigle with connecting bus to Villars leave Geneva Airport at 27 minutes past the hour.

Trains to Bex with connecting train to Villars leave Geneva Airport at 47 minutes past the hour.

The train from Bex to Villars is more scenic than the bus from Aigle, but takes 20 minutes longer. I would suggest you just wait and see whether your first available train is the one at 27 or the one at 47, and buy your train ticket accordingly. There won't be much difference in price.

Timetables on www.sbb.ch/en

Edited: 01 March 2011, 14:25
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villars Sur Ollon

If I need to get to get to the airport in Geneva by 9:00 in the morning, is it practical to take the bus/train from Villars that morning? How early do they leave? Are there ever problems with snow in the winter? Does it make more sense to go in the day before and stay overnight in Geneva?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villars Sur Ollon

It could be done, but you'd have to get up very early, - take a look at www.rail and see what I mean. Enter Villars-sur-Ollon in the "from" box and Geneva airport in the "to" box. Personally, so I could be confident, I would leave the day before. Mountain buses manage extremely well in the snow, but you never know.

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villars Sur Ollon

Hi

I`m going to Villars Sur Ollon, will depart from Kuala Lumpur. Forgive me for my ignorance, but should i go to Zurich airport or Geneva ?

Thanks!

Reply to: Villars Sur Ollon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Villars-sur-Ollon