We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leysin trip with my elderly mum

scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Leysin trip with my elderly mum

My mum was sent to Switzerland as a young girl, when suffering from tuberculosis. She stayed in Leysin, in what was the Mont Blanc Hotel which was converted to a sanitorium. I believe this is now the Mont Blanc Hotel School.

She would dearly like to return to visit the area, but is now elderly and can't walk far. Can anyone help me to plan the best way to get to Leysin from Scotland and give suggestions as to where to stay etc. We plan to go in August 2015. Any help would be much appreciated.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leysin trip with my elderly mum

Best to fly to Geneva and then get the train to Aigle where you change into the narrow gauge mountain railway to Leysin.

Leysin is a spread out village on a steep mountainside, I'm not sure if its good for an infirm walker.

www.leysin.ch

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,638 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leysin trip with my elderly mum

Leysin is a dreadful place for someone with mobility issues since it is really steep. In your place I would rent a car and then you would be able to drive easily around Leysin and the surrounding area. IF she has a handicapped sticker in the UK bring it. It will be accepted here for handicapped parking spaces...

scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leysin trip with my elderly mum

Thank you for your advice. After speaking to my mum, she thinks it might be best to fly to Geneva and find a picturesque, compact village nearby, where we could just enjoy the scenery. Do you have any suggestions?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,638 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leysin trip with my elderly mum

Near Geneva is problemmatic because Geneva is a small canton almost totally surrounded by France. There is a thin strip of land that links it to the Canton de Vaud on the north side of the lake. But if you are willing to take a train a little further I would suggest staying near Lausanne in Lutry. the medieval part of Lutry, on the lake, is quite beautiful and its rail connections from Lausanne and on to Montreux are easy. best part is - all is on the flat! You could take a lake steamer for a cruise - and from the lake she will see the Dents du Midi which are a large part of the Leysin skyline. Also visit Vevey and Montreux - again lakeside areas flat. But perhaps not Chillon which necessitates a lot of stair climbing and they are "medieval" stone stairs at that!

As for Leysin - an option would be to take the train up from Aigle alll the way through Leysin to the top and then right down again. that way she could see the village without having to "deal with" the village!

scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leysin trip with my elderly mum

Thank you, for your advice. I think staying in Lutry makes very good sense. Can you tell me how easy it is to get from Geneva airport to Lutry? Also, given Mum's mobility issues, where should we stay? Is driving easy in the area? I'm not very confident driving abroad and don't want to add stress :-)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,638 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leysin trip with my elderly mum

Don't drive! "wrong" side of the road etc. and small medieval villages like Lutry are not the best for driving. Nor for parking for that matter!! use public transport. Get a Swiss Pass so you can take any train/bus/boat you want.

www.sbb.ch/en

To get to Lutry from GVA airport: Any train to Lausanne (I think it is safe to say that all trains leaving the airport except those going to Basel stop in Lausanne). then local train, right from the Lausanne station, to Lutry. The station in Lutry is right outside the "bourg" or medieval part of town. And there is a very nice, small hotel right IN the Bourg called "Bourg 7" which gets good reviews and is very central.

Another idea would be to stay at Cully. (same train line) There is a lovely hotel there looking right at the lake called the Hotel Lavaux. It used to be a so-so motel type thing but got completely renovated and changed and also gets good reviews. It is somewhat on the outskirts of Cully though and you would probably have to take a bus from Cully to get to it.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leysin trip with my elderly mum

For someone who 'cannot walk far' I would recommend Vevey. Station is very central and the town is all on the level. Just as easy to make a day trip to Leysin from there.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leysin trip with my elderly mum

Hi Scotlandlynda, thanks for raising this question, my mum was also sent from Scotland to Leysin with TB . She subsequently moved to Australia in the 1960's. Sadly she passed away in May this year aged 88. I am now planning to visit Leysin as I want to see it. It had a very positive influence on her life despite her being gravely ill at the time, and I believe saved her life at the time. The info from all the responses to your post are very helpful, thanks everyone!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,638 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leysin trip with my elderly mum

Leysin has - and also hasn't - changed much since the 1960's. The large old sanitoria buildings are still there. Some converted into schools, hotel school etc. And the village still has the feeling of being as it was in the 1960s when I also went there for the first time. There has been quite a lot of building of chalets and smaller apartment buildings since the 1960s as in all the alpine resorts. Leysin still lacks a "centre" as it did in the 60s and I think the feeling one gets up there now is very very much the same as then.

If we can help in any way with your trip let us know when the time comes!

gala scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leysin trip with my elderly mum

I will be staying in leysin for 4 nights in late July can anyone recommend any day trips.we really love going up in the mountains via cable car rides and having a drink or two enjoying the views! We were in Austria last year and totally loved it,we visited caves then are their any caves or natural wonders like that to see?

Talis from scotland