We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ascona versus Porto Ronco during jazz festival

Which Ascona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auburn, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Ascona versus Porto Ronco during jazz festival

We wanted to stay in Ascona because of its proximity to the lake.We also hope to do some hiking while there. The only 3 star hotel left during jazz festival is La Perla above the lake. However, we found a place right on the water in Porto Ronco. It seems we would have to take a boat from Ronco everyday to find stuff to do. Can anyone tell me... How crazy does Ascona get during the jazz festival? I wouldn't mind hearing jazz music during lunch or dinner one day, but my husband hates big crowds. Please give input.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ascona versus Porto Ronco during jazz festival

I've never been to Ascona during the jazz festival but otherwise, we go there every year. Porto Ronco has a population of about 400 and is very quaint. If you want peace and quiet and if you want to be on the lake, it is probably the best alternative for you.

The whole area around Ascona is beautiful. You can take some hikes in Maggia Valley using the local bus or take the scenic Centovalle train. You can walk from Ascona to Maggia river, walking all the while along the lake and past wonderful sandy beaches.

You'll find plenty of getaways if you inform yourself.

lausanne...
Level Contributor
3 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ascona versus Porto Ronco during jazz festival

The centre of lakeside Ascona is very noisy during the festival and to be avoided at all costs. However, there are dozens of hotels - especially the top ones such as Castello del Sole, Giardino, Delta etc. - which, while easy to reach on foot - are too far from the centre to hear any noise. Ascona is such a great place that I would not look elsewhere just because of the festival.

Get answers to your questions about Ascona