We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much cash will I need and will they take cards?

Rayleigh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
How much cash will I need and will they take cards?

We're going to Thud for the first time this coming November and it's all-inclusive. I've read a bit somewhere about tipping and seen all sorts of advice. Basically I need help in knowing how much cash (in U.S. Dollars presumably) to take and to understand how much use credit/debit cards will be. Can anyone advise me please? We shall be there for two weeks. Does one tip the pilot of the transfer aircraft as one would a taxi driver, I wonder?

5 replies to this topic
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much cash will I need and will they take cards?

all the major creditcards are accepted to settle your final bill with .

for tipping and small purchases at the airport and local islands , you take US dollars in cash . best to get small demoninations from the bank . how much is up to you ... personally i tip :

waiters 2$ each meal

bar staff 2$ per drink or 5$ per eve if i only have one drink

roomboy 5$ every other day

cooks 10$ per week

luggage porters 2$ per bag

gardeners as i see them

i would tip the spagirls per session but i never have time for spa

boat crew 2$ per person per trip

compressor boy 20$ per week

divestaff 10$ per dive

a larger sum in the box for behind the scene staff on the last day

Edited: 14 May 2013, 14:14
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much cash will I need and will they take cards?

There are several threads on this if you search. Everything on Thud can be charged to your room and paid by credit card at the end, that means trips, shop purchases as nothing else to pay for! I tip at the end of the holiday, $20-30 for each of room boy, WV waiter, beach waiter, bar man. A lump sum to the behind scenes staff of about $30. I tipped dive staff $100 total to split between them. $2 to luggage boys. I would guess this is about average but it is whatever you are comfortable with, the service isn't any different depending on tips, but it is nice to reward helpful staff.

It is a lovely island, I hope you enjoy it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much cash will I need and will they take cards?

I must admit it has never occurred to me to tip the seaplane pilot! Has anyone else??

Level Contributor
1,619 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much cash will I need and will they take cards?

I have thought about tipping the "flight crew" but then worried they may, as "professionals" be insulted so havn't.

We tipped one of the entertainment team at Ath last year as he went out of his way to take one of our children out on the boat, he was really shocked and tried to refuse it (but secretly pleased I think)

Rayleigh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much cash will I need and will they take cards?

Many thanks to all you Thud lovers for your helpful advice. I shall certainly make good use of it. I don't think I'll tip the flight crew of the seaplane, though. If I do, I might feel I also have to tip the crew of the BA flight from and back to the UK. No, I don't think so!

Reply to: How much cash will I need and will they take cards?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Thudufushi Island