We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest bank and cash exchange

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Nearest bank and cash exchange

Hello!

So I leave on Thursday (woohoo!) and I am thinking that the best thing to do would be to exhange my money over in Barbados cause the rate is better?

However, how close is the nearest bank or buearau where I can get money exchanged?

I was thinking take $100's over for buses etc and first day emergencies and then exhanging the rest when I find a bank... but looking online I wasnt 100% sure.

Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
17 replies to this topic
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,401 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearest bank and cash exchange

Where are you staying?

That might help!

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,401 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearest bank and cash exchange

I'd hazard a guess at Oistins since you have posted in the Silver Sands forum?

You need to get some small notes or coins for the buses.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearest bank and cash exchange

The rate of exchange is way better in Barbados than in the UK , so I would suggest you take some US dollars to start you off, but don't go overboard because the rate given for US dollars in the UK is pretty dismal as well.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearest bank and cash exchange

Thanks for the fast responses!

So sorry I forgot to mention I am staying at Silver Point Villas.

My question again, how would I get to the nearest exchange office?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Silver Point Hotel
Silver Point Hotel
642 Reviews
Barbados
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,401 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearest bank and cash exchange

You'd need to get a bus or a taxi into Oistins. I'm not exactly sure where the bus stops in relation to the Villas but somebody else will know.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nearest bank and cash exchange

All the more reason just to take US$ and save time and money on buses and taxis!

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nearest bank and cash exchange

Is it not better to get my pounds exchanged into dollars out there though?

I have checked the route and i think ZR route #11 goes straight to the bank...

Or should I just get my money exchanged into dollars here and take it over with me? is there MUCH difference?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nearest bank and cash exchange

Here is the link to the daily exchange rates so you can compare them daily. I would never ever exchange anything in the UK personally, but it's up to you. All banks give the rates quoted here.

centralbank.org.bb/WEBCBB.nsf/…

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nearest bank and cash exchange

Garry87

Yes there is a huge difference.

When coming to Barbados take USD and GBP from the UK. Don't purchase BBD in the UK as you can receive a much better rate in Barbados. If you purchase BBD in the UK the rate won't be nearly as generous and is currently around £1 to $3.07. In Barbados, you'll get about $3.28 currently for £1. If you take UK Traveller's Cheques, you'll get an even better rate. Currently it's $3.33 to £1. You can do the exchange at any of the several commercial banks on the island including CIBC First Caribbean International Bank, Republic Bank (Barbados) Ltd, First Citizen's Bank (Barbados) Ltd, Scotiabank or the RBC Royal Bank. They all have the same rates as set out by the Central Bank of Barbados.

I would recommend you get your USD from M&S Travel Money which is commission free with very competitive rates. Currently you get about $1.62 USD for £1. USD can be spent on the street in Barbados at $2 for $1 USD. However, in some stores/restaurants, you will receive anything between $1.95 and $1.98. Anywhere around $200 to $250 USD in small bills ($5s, $10s and $20s) should suffice to get you started and for tipping. Whatever USD you don't spend, you can either hold on to it for a future trip as it's a globally accepted currency, or you can sell it back to M&S.

Also take your credit/ Visa Debit cards.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nearest bank and cash exchange

OK Perfect, thank you.

I think I will take a 50/50 split of USD and GBP. There is a CIBC at Oistins so only a short bus or taxi ride away.

I checked my local Asda Supermarket and their curreny exchange rate is 1.6384 at the moment so that seems like a pretty reasonable rate! They also buy back foreign currency notes i'll have left over at 0% commission.

Thanks for the help guys!

Reply to: Nearest bank and cash exchange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Silver Sands