We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elba in September 09

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Elba in September 09

My wife and I will be in Rome on the 1st September and having already seen the Ligure and Amalfi coasts we are keen to spend a week on Elba. Some questions...

1. Is it easy to get there from Rome?

2. Is a week OK or too long?

3. We are looking for a nice place with good access to sandy beaches, treks and lots of little cafes etc.? Perhaps Marina Marciana would be a good place in which to base ourselves.

4. Should we hire a car for the whole week or is it best just to drive around for one or two days?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and any recommendations for accommodation would be welcomed.

Ross n Kathy-Australia (Pisang)

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,945 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elba in September 09

Hi Ross n Kathy!

I understand that you are going to Elba without a car so you must catch a train to Piombino or Campiglia ( there's a bus connection to Piombino).

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Then take the ferry over to Elba.

infoelba.com/come_arrivare/…catsub-

As for the number of days to spend there it depends on what you want to do. September is a very pleasant month for sunbathing, swimming, treking so I would stay a week. If you only want to see it, well 2 days can be enough - but what a pity!!!

You can hire a car but even a motor scooter can be a nice solution for getting down to the many beaches without having parking problems.

Marciana Marina has a pebble beach whereas Marina di Campo has a nice long sandy beach and the climate is slightly warmer as it's on the south of the island. Another nice village is Portoazzurro - a small sandy beach and a small pebble beach.

Have a look here and come back if you want further info!!

www.aptelba.it/APTView/view…

www.isoladelba.ca/

www.virtualelba.it/elba-island/index.htm

Bye!

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elba in September 09

Thanks for that great info as that is a good start. I will keep you updated. Thanks again for taking the time to write. Chao.

3. Re: Elba in September 09

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Elba Island
Recent Conversations