After some advice if anyone is able to shed some light as I am pulling my hair out a bit!
My husband and I will be visiting Tuscany for the first time in mid June with our toddler and we have managed to work out a lovely schedule which (among other things) will allow us a long weekend in Elba.
We have booked an apartment In Cavo and we are really looking forward to a few days relaxing on the beaches. We are having an absolute nightmare with car hire though.
The hire company that we were planning to use do not allow ferry travel and I'm having a bit of a headache trying to work out which ones do which leaves me with a few options and I can work out which is best.
1) Hire from another company
- can anyone recommend a company that will allow ferry travel?
- the ferry company asks for vehicle information to pre-book the tickets, we wont have this until we arrive. Should we book ourselves as foot passengers so that we know we can definitely get across and just try to add the car to the booking on the day?
2) Park the Piombino for the weekend and go as foot passengers.
- Can anyone give us any idea what the long term parking charges are like at Piombino port?
- Are the beaches in Cavo nice enough to keep us busy for the weekend or would it be better for us to have the car so that we drive to other places?
We will be quite busy for the rest of our holiday rushing around Pisa / Florence / Sienna etc as well as spending some time around Saturnia so we will be busy little bees and are not planning on doing much trekking around Elba (just a lot of unwinding on the beach) so I'm wondering if we will even really need the car? Although having said that we are going to Elba especially for the lovely beaches and I would really hate to miss out on somewhere beautiful because it was too far for us to walk and we didnt ferry the car.
Would really appreciate any advice.