We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire headache

Ripon, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
car hire headache

Hi all,

After some advice if anyone is able to shed some light as I am pulling my hair out a bit!

My husband and I will be visiting Tuscany for the first time in mid June with our toddler and we have managed to work out a lovely schedule which (among other things) will allow us a long weekend in Elba.

We have booked an apartment In Cavo and we are really looking forward to a few days relaxing on the beaches. We are having an absolute nightmare with car hire though.

The hire company that we were planning to use do not allow ferry travel and I'm having a bit of a headache trying to work out which ones do which leaves me with a few options and I can work out which is best.

We could;

1) Hire from another company

- can anyone recommend a company that will allow ferry travel?

- the ferry company asks for vehicle information to pre-book the tickets, we wont have this until we arrive. Should we book ourselves as foot passengers so that we know we can definitely get across and just try to add the car to the booking on the day?

2) Park the Piombino for the weekend and go as foot passengers.

- Can anyone give us any idea what the long term parking charges are like at Piombino port?

- Are the beaches in Cavo nice enough to keep us busy for the weekend or would it be better for us to have the car so that we drive to other places?

We will be quite busy for the rest of our holiday rushing around Pisa / Florence / Sienna etc as well as spending some time around Saturnia so we will be busy little bees and are not planning on doing much trekking around Elba (just a lot of unwinding on the beach) so I'm wondering if we will even really need the car? Although having said that we are going to Elba especially for the lovely beaches and I would really hate to miss out on somewhere beautiful because it was too far for us to walk and we didnt ferry the car.

Decisions, decisions!

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire headache

Check with www.thrifty.com/locations.aspx Vehicles on ferries and www.mobylines.com for car parking.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 01:21
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,157 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire headache

Most car rental companies don't allow their vehicles on ferries.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire headache

Hi!

It would be a pity going to Elba Island and seeing only Cavo. There are 150 beaches all different one from the other. Even the four sides - N,E, S, W are different. In June you won't have parking or traffic problems so you can move around choosing a beach in the moring and one in the evening. As Cavo is a little way out you'll need a car. Cavo has two beaches but is a small village so I think you'll like to move around.

I'm afraid I can't help with car rentals. Parking in Piombimo should cost about 8/10€ a day.

Passengers do not need booking whereas for cars it may be preferable on weekends even if June is not a rush

Ferries rarely controll car plates. What counts is length - more or less than 4mt so it depends on the class of the vehichle you want to rent.

There are car rentals also on the island.

Bye :)

Edited: 23 April 2014, 13:41
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,139 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire headache

Avis's Italian advertising makes a big point of saying that it allows travel on normal ferries (traghetti da linea) to Italian islands.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 13:50
Ripon, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire headache

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments and especially thank you Girella for your very detailed comment and message. We have managed to find a rental company that will allow travel on ferries. For anyone that stumbles upon this thread looking for answers themselves, we searched with a broker called economy car rentals, which lets you view the terms and conditions of each of the rental cars (from different companies) that your selected search dates and pick up venue yields. Within these terms and conditions is information about whether or not ferrying the car is permitted. They will also contact the rental company for you to confirm this is permitted and will email the rental companies confirmation email to you.

So with that all done we have managed to find a lovely deal that will allow us to take a car over with us so that we can explore beautiful elba :) . We are also looking into the possibility of a half day boat hire while we are there.

Again, for anyone that finds this thread looking for answers themselves, we contacted the ferry company regarding the info that they request to make a booking and they advised us to just put "rentcar" in the reg number box and try to make sure that the car category we selected was accurate.

Thank you again to everyone that commented for your advise :)

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire headache

Enjoy your stay! :)

ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire headache

Sorry to resurface this thread but it would be great if someone could fill me in on the parking situation in Piombino? Is it easy enough to park there for a couple of days as we don't want to take the rental car to Elba? thanks for any advice!!

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire headache

Hi!

Yes, there several big parking spaces at the top of the hill before going down to the port. From there a few steps take you down to the Stazione Marittima/ ticket office.

Then there is a small one next to the SM.

infoelba.com/arriving-getting-about/…

Bye ☺

9. Re: car hire headache

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2016, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Elba Island
Recent Conversations