We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Catskills- ? area is better

mass
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Catskills- ? area is better

We are planning a 4 day weekend in Oct to Catskills, we will be traveling from MA. Which area is better to stay? We were looking at either Sullivan or Ulster county, any suggestions or ideas? Thank you

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Catskills- ? area is better

More details are needed. Where are you staying? What is your budget for the trip? What are you interested in doing while you are in the area?

mass
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Catskills- ? area is better

we are not sure what section to stay in that is why we are asking what part. We would like to sightsee and hike easy - moderate trails. We would like to spend less than $150/night for a hotel. We were looking at the Sullivan or Ulster counties as it would be a 4hour ride from MA. Thank you

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Catskills- ? area is better

Personally I think Ulster County is nicer during the fall. You may have trouble getting a room in a decent hotel or B&B for the price you are looking for due to it being peak season. I checked The Beekman Arms in Rhinebeck (Dutchess County - but a short ride over the Kingston bridge to Ulster County) and it looks like they might be booked but you might want to call them. I'm not sure of what their rooms go for per night. Very easy for you guys to get to from MA - take the pike to taconic and head south. If you want great hiking trails try Monhonk Mountain House (I would suggest you stay here, but very pricey - check out their website - the pictures are true to the real thing). Also checkout Minnewaska State Park for hiking.

Big Indian, New York
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Catskills- ? area is better

We are in Ulster County, very close to the all the famous Big Indian Trails and other Catskill Park Trails. The drive along Route 28 and the neighbooring village are pleasant. Consider staying in the Big Indian area for very scenic and varying levels of hikes.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Catskills- ? area is better

Great ! Sullivan county is a best place for vacations. I'll suggest you you can stay at Sullivan there you'll get lots of Hotels, Motels and <a href="http://www.scva.net/scva/dining/brunch/">Restaurants Sullivan County.</a> at very affordable prices.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 06:43
New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Catskills- ? area is better

Great ! Sullivan county is a best place for vacations. I'll suggest you you can stay at Sullivan there you'll get lots of Hotels, Motels and at very affordable prices. For any further information check this link.http://www.scva.net/planner/

7. Re: Suggestions for Catskills- ? area is better

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 15:25
Get answers to your questions about Catskill Region
More Catskill Region Topics