We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another 'where is this' question

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Another 'where is this' question

Once again, I find myself coming across the most beautiful photo on the internet and not knowing where it was taken. I think this church is somewhere near Pienza, can anyone tell me where exactly it is? And is the church still in use (ie can you visit it?)

Many thanks as always!

hickerphoto.com/picture/…continue

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Another 'where is this' question

It is the Capella di Vitaletta and it is located between Pienza and San Quirico.

www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,108 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another 'where is this' question

Indeed it is. You can photograph it from the road heading towards Pienza and there is even a back road we drove once right up the the chapel. It was signposted but we did have the feel we were trespassing.

…blogspot.com.au/2009/…tuscany-beautiful.html

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another 'where is this' question

The photo's caption states the location, but maybe I am misreading it?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,108 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another 'where is this' question

Re still in use, this is a very tiny chapel, probably belonging to the property next door. The door is locked.

This is it on a map and you can see the back road leading in. The road from the highway looks very private and is steep and unsealed.

http://goo.gl/maps/22s2

These were some photos from close up

nickbooth.id.au/Images/Tuscany_Capella_di_Vi…

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another 'where is this' question

No longer signposted but fairly easy to find. However, the best pictures are taken with a very long zoom from the Pienza / San Quirico road, ideally in the late afternoon when the sun is lighting up the facade. I forget when the OP is coming but we went to a dawn concert at the church last summer around the end of August, if I remember rightly when it was open. More info on the church from the tourist office in San Quirico.

Edited: 30 June 2012, 06:10
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another 'where is this' question

Thanks so much for all the replies, that's another place for the notebook as a 'must see'.

Lynn, thanks for the link to that trip report, I enjoyed their entire report, I didn't know there was trip reports on Slow Trav, so that will keep me busy reading for a while.

That sounds beautiful lastraniera, we aren't in Tuscany until the second week of Sept, so we will likely miss that, but I will pop into the tourist office in San Quirico just on the off chance.

7. Re: Another 'where is this' question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2013, 10:17