We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mtwapa

Which Mtwapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Mtwapa

Hi - it's my 1st time to Kenya.

Can someone pls tell me all the worthwhile places to visit in Mtwapa - not so much the nitelife but more cultural, sightseeing, etc.. Also decent cheap eateries. I've heard of Monsoons, but i want to sample more traditional swahili type food like coconut rice, seafood, etc...

Is there any food at Copacabana beach ?

MH

5 replies to this topic
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mtwapa

Hi,

You can get food at Cobacabana but I wouldn't recommend it, for both quality and hygiene reasons.

But as you go down the path to it nip through the gap in the trees next to the giant Baobab and you'll find yourself in the overgrown ruins of a 14C Swahili town, the Mtwapa Heritage site.

There are the better cared for ruins of another 14C swahili town at Jumba La Mtwana Monsoons is on the beach beyond the ruins,(on what is in effect a private beach) and you will not find better fresher seafood anywhere, most of it comes from right in front of the restaurant.

there are lots of very local Swahili and Nyama Choma joints along the main road on either side, but if you want a more western friendly environment to try some Swahili food try Tamu Tamu Dishes, local food at almost local prices in a very clean environment

Throw in Moorings floating restaurant and La Marina on the Creek (and around 300 bars and two night clubs) and that is pretty much Mtwapa

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mtwapa

Thanks Doff.

Where is Tamu Tamu ? Is it in town ?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mtwapa

Hi,

yes its on the main road on the right as you come from Mombasa, it has a sign on the road side its a green and white sign a little bit like a Starbucks sign at first glance, its set back a little behind a short row of trees in a raised bed. Its just after the first real road junction on the right with signs for La Marina / Kendas Arcade / KCB bank etc.

Its marked on the map in the FAQs

Swindon, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mtwapa

Hi Doffcocker

You seem to be 'a man in the know' about Mtwapa - I enjoyed your photographs too - and your sense of humour.

I am in Mtwapa for next few weeks - do you know of any charities and their precise location in Mtwapa ? I am a community and charity worker - before I retired - but of course it is still in my blood.

Thanks

Tony

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mtwapa

Hi Tony,

Thanks, I do know about Mtwapa, and I know a little about some community and charitable works and institutions based here and in Kikambala, (a couple of miles up the road) but you would be far better off getting advice from the real experts on the subject, Drakesdrum, Danbry (who are both here at the moment) Marym062 and Hazda.

Reply to: Mtwapa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted