We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is regarded as a reasonable tip

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What is regarded as a reasonable tip

What is regarded as a reasonable tip ??

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is regarded as a reasonable tip

For who? It's different for all. For us, we tip the room boy a couple of dollars a day, left on the pillow, the waiters, we tip at breakfast and dinner and it's usually 5 dollars or so every couple of days, bar staff, we tend to tip a couple of dollars at the start of the evening, and the guy who does the beach we usually tip at the end. The guy who delivers the suitcases we also tip a dollar or so. we also tip about 10 dollars on an excursion.

Many people tip much more, many much less. I see people on here who will tip several hundred dollars over their vacation, and others who will not tip unlesa service is way over and above what the staff are paid to do. some tip weekly and some tip at the end of their vacation only. We tip as we go.

I think we are pretty average and probably tip 150 to 200 usd over the two

weeks. Everyone is different, it's very personal. There is a FAQ above you can look at.

Make sure you take small denomination, and have some small dollars in your wallet when you depart the uk, so you are not caught short on arrival.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is regarded as a reasonable tip

I agree with Froggy's assessment above and would add that it also depends on the type of island your are on. A "reasonable tip" on a 2-3 * basic island is probably less than might be considered reasonable on a 5-6* luxury island.

OD

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,373 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is regarded as a reasonable tip

like the others ... i tip as i go which causes me much less stress at the end of the stay, hunting down the appropriate people .

roomboy 5$ every other day , gardeners and iced towel boy on the beach 2 $ when i run into them, waiters 2$ each meal in buffet restaurant or 5$ in specialty restaurant, chefs 10 per week, bar staff 5$ per day or 2$ if i only have one drink; compressor boy 30$ per week (2-4 dives each day), boat crew 2$ per crewmember per trip. i don't generally use the spa or i would tip 10$ per treatment.

of course, at the final evening, a large-ish lump sum goes into the box for the staff that the guest never sees. also, if the island has a personal butler/island host setup, i tip 100$/week

as froggy says .. some people tip a lot more while others won't part from a dollar unless the waiter gives them a lapdance . you decide .

Edited: 18 December 2011, 15:09
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is regarded as a reasonable tip

i always say dont eat the yellow snow quite a reasonable tip

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is regarded as a reasonable tip

Not sure how reasonable that is for the Maldives Paul..:))snow, Maldives...hmmm...

Personally I would go more with don't boil the crabs in your kettle!!

Reply to: What is regarded as a reasonable tip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Olhuveli Island
More Olhuveli Island Topics