We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad weather forecast!

London
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bad weather forecast!

Next week the forecast for Laamu is rain all day every day. We arrive on Saturday. My husband is almost in tears. He is so stressed out and desperate for sun to rejuvenate. Can this really be the case? I thought the rain came in sporadic downpours. How likely is it that it will rain the whole time?

19 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bad weather forecast!

Hi cazza ;-)

I think you may of took froggys comments out of context,she was just trying to point out that its pointless stressing over something you can't change , she was doing this to lighten your stress ,sort of a " yes you are correct " let's start enjoying our count down til paradise ;-) Well that's how I read it .

Enjoy your holiday

Darryl

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bad weather forecast!

Nov may be the start of high season for prices....but you really need to think late Dec to be sure of getting high (dry) season weather.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Bad weather forecast!

Tell your husband no need to stress, because I was in the same boat!

I just came back from Maldive.. the week before I was obsessed with checking the weather and was devastated to see that it would rain 3 out of 4 days I was there!

But when I got there.. it was nothing but sun! There weren't even clouds and we were able to see alot of stars at night!!

So really... there isn't much you can do and weather forecast isn't really that accurate.. just hope for the best!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bad weather forecast!

i dont know your husband, so I am not commenting on his state of mind or judging him. I said "wow" because I was surprised, and I also said it was silly to worry. because it is, because it cant be changed and it cant be predicted. You are actually the only one talking about his state of mind.

I hope both you and your husband have a wonderful, stress free vacation and have minimal rain, I, and no one else, can predict the weather for you though on that tiny spit of sand for the duration of your stay.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bad weather forecast!

every time i have been to the Maldives, regardless of high/low season, rain was predicted every day. i can count on one hand the amount of times it has rained (just about but i think i will have to move onto my other hand next time ). Out of peak season its pure luck. Returned recently from Gaafu atoll. 9 days, and in that time had one afternoon shower, half a cloudy day but otherwise wall to wall, wind free sunshine. On return is was hot hot hot leaving the island (absolutely baking), no clouds in sight. 10 mins into the 20 min boat ride, a huge storm was off to our right but we missed it. 10 mins later we got to the local airport where it was clear. On boarding, 15 mins later it was raining and you went to the plane with an umbrella they gave you. Took off and within 2 mins it was clear. 10 mins later into the flight, in a clear sky, we saw a mega storm on the horizon but in front it was clear. We flew through some high cloud, saw the odd storm but on arrival at Male it was bone dry, not seen rain for 2 days. Being almost totally flat, the Maldives weather is one of the most unpredictable in the world. There is no high ground to affect things and its like being in the path of a tornado - its just pure luck. A point to note though which I did not know - in November at PHH in the Gaafu atoll, every year the seas are so predicatbly stormy that they have to close one of the 2 piers as the waves frequently break right over the top of it. Seemingly that atoll is not good for Nov holidays. Maybe that co-incides with the Monsoon changeover in late november?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,903 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bad weather forecast!

nov is meant to be the start of the dry season ? whoever told you that , misinformed you . perhaps that is the root of all this

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bad weather forecast!

Well it is the dry season in,,,,Costa Rica,,:-p

Nov is not the start of the dry season in the Maldives as we would see it. It does not just turn dry overnight. It goes through a period of change.

The monsoon CHANGES late nov into the first two to three weeks of dec, giving unsettled weather during this period,,,more rain, more wind, more unpredictable. At the end of dec, last week onwards, it tends to even out and the dry season has begun as we as tourists would see it ie more sun, less rain, less wind typically,,,with it settling further into jan and beyond. Each year the change can be earlier or it can be later.

So late nov is basically the change period.

Seriously, I might apply for a job with the Maldives meteorology society.

London
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bad weather forecast!

Ha ha you should! That was a great explanation! No hard feelings everyone - we are having a ball!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Bad weather forecast!

Have fun, don't stress about the weather, it will be what it is, the Maldives are very beautiful, you can't help but relax, and it's always hot.

Reply to: Bad weather forecast!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Olhuveli Island
More Olhuveli Island Topics