We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Larga - how many nights?

Wellington
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Larga - how many nights?

We will be going to Cuba in December with our 8 & 10 year olds. We are keen to see the Zapata Swamp, and wildlife. How many nights would you suggest?

Thanks

Anna

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Larga - how many nights?

hello, I am interested in going to Playa Larga. I am going with three other university students, and we would like to do some hiking and hanging out at the beach away from the bigger resorts. Did you go? how was it? do you have any tips? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

osi
toronto
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Larga - how many nights?

There last week for the day, spent afternoon on the beach, nice shallow sandy beach, very safe for swimming and the Caribbean ocean is five degrees warmer then the atlantic ocean side of Cuba which makes a difference in January. It is a short beach not like Varadero, It reminded me of Wasaga beach or a northern Ontario beach. Beach is in a bay and saw many people snorkling far out, the water is not too salty cause many rivers empty in the ocean there. The change room at the beach was not open but there is a small hotel on the beach where the bath room was good. We did not go to the crocodile place looked very touristy and were there for swimming. Spoke to two women from Vancouver who stayed in a casa particular in playa larga,, they were very happy and said the food was good and they felt very safe. They were there for a salsa conference. Night life is non existant. It was pretty empty except for Italian tourists. Apparantly it is very busy in the summer with many Cubans there for their holidays. Told that misquitos can be quite bad at different time of the year, so take bug spray, We had rented a car and drove over from varadero, roads were good but confusing if you don't speak Spanish, terrible driving conditions at night. horses, cattle, dogs, bicylces/motorcycles/horse/oxen carts in the road without reflectors, people walking too and some big potholes all in all very dangerous. If you have an accident your are guilty until proven innocent and not allowed to leave the island. It made for some nerve racking times. We did see Cubans fishing in the marsh, not sure what they were catching. I felt it was good for a day visit or perhaps overnight but not much more, perhaps combining with the other close beach Playa Giron and do one day at each.

San Carlos...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Larga - how many nights?

Thanks for the information. We are going in July and need a beach stop between Vinales and Trinidad. I have 3 teenagers and we enjoy snorkeling (do not enjoy mosquitoes and likely will not visit the swamp area). Any advice on a good beach community to stay two nights at? We are looking at Playa Larga but it doesn't seem like a great fit for us for 2 nights of our trip!

San Carlos...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Larga - how many nights?

Hi Dan - Did you go to Playa Largo? I am trying to finalize our trip for late July now! and need to make a decision on whether to visit Playa Largo for 2 nights are continue south and go to a beach area near Trinidad. My concerns with Playa Largo are it may be too quiet for our family of 5 (3 teenagers) and the mosquitoes! I am looking for a nice beach community (not too touristy or big hotels), good snorkeling and water access and of course a nice casa particulare for our family of 5!

Thanks for your input or other ideas.

University Place...
Level Contributor
81 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Larga - how many nights?

My friend and I stayed at Hostal Mayito last November, very near Playa Larga but I think actually in Calejon. The host family was wonderful, very accommodating and helpful. The meals were delicious. We took a guided tour in the park near the mouth of the bay on the east side; very interesting, and it ended with a swim in a cenote. You can also take a tour of the swamp on the other side. The bay is very calm where the casa is located, great for swimming. About 15 minutes south, snorkeling in the bay across from Cueva de Los Pesces is excellent. There's a good museum dedicated to the Bay of Pigs invasion at Playa Giron. Mayito and/or his son take people snorkeling and diving. We weren't at all bothered by mosquitoes when we were there, but were advised to use repellent in the park.

Helsingoer, Denmark
Level Contributor
45 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Larga - how many nights?

In April I spend two nights in Playa Larga and afterward 2 nights in Playa Giron (Bay of pigs). I went to Playa Larga to see the swamp. It was good, but only took a couple of hours. I also went to the crocodile farm and I can not reccomend that. It was very small and disappointing.

I went to the beach, but did not go swimming cause the water was cold (compared to the other beaches I had visited in Cuba) and because I had gotten myself a cold and did not wanna get more sick. Look wise I would not go here for a beach break though.

Playa Giron was nicer IMO. I went snorkling close to the shore, the water looked nicer than in Playa Larga and was warmer. The museum is nice and worth a visit. Even if you don't speak spanish you will get an idea what it's about beacuse of all the photos.

In both places it was easy to find a more secluded spot away from other tourist/Cubans/the bar if I wanted to.

Regarding the mosquitos I got 3 mosquito bites throughout my 3 week holiday in Cuba. There were not many of them in april.

As for a place where teenagers will have fun I do not think either of the places will be that interesting for them after the sun comes down. Nor for adults to be honest. I am glad I went to both places, but will not return.

Long Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Larga - how many nights?

Just returned this week from Cuba and enjoyed PL very much, especially the snorkeling and swimming. There are two great places - Punta Pirdiz and Cuevas de las Peces (cave of the fish) within a few miles. PL is a village and there's not much to do at night but a good location for daily excursions. Take a good bug spray and wipes, and spray some clothes before you go with the stuff hunters/hikers use for buggy areas and no worries. We had some bites but not overwhelming. The Cienega is amazing - a 3 hr walk with a guide for birding and nature - your casa host can find a local guide with a phone call. The park was the most buggy (again we were prepared) and came away with some bites but all totally worth the effort for a chance to see such a beautiful place. Don't miss the museum at Playa Giron.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Larga - how many nights?

@7 Thanks for the report.

Reply to: Playa Larga - how many nights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Larga