We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with Baby

Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do with Baby

Hello, we are headed to Coral Bay in a week. We have a 1 yr old baby and we will be renting at 4WD in St.Thomas and then taking the ferry to St.John's and driving to Coral Bay.

Any tips on what beaches to go that may be "baby" friendly. What I mean is, easier to get to so that not a lot of hiking is required with facilities such as snack bar or restaurants.

Thanks!!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
320 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do with Baby

In my opinion, Maho is a great beach for a baby. You park your car close and the water is super gentle.

Francis is also good.

Trunk and Cinnamon both have snack bars and you just walk to them from the parking lot.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do with Baby

Maho is probably the most baby friendly. The only beaches with any facilities are Trunk and Cinnamon and they both have a restroom, shower and snack shop/bar all the other beaches have nothing - nada - no bathroom, shower, restaurant, chairs or anything (well there is Francis and Hawksnest that have a port a potty) Miss Vies beach on East End has beach chairs and you pay $2.50 pp to use her beach but she does have her snack shack to buy great local food from - johnny cakes, conch fritters, garlic chicke etc.

Pia

Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do with Baby

Thank you for your advice! I will definitely try these out, especially Maho. I like the sound of calm water to introduce the baby to the ocean.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do with Baby

We took our son to Maho (at 4.5 months) for his first beach experience. Perfect!

We have visited every year since. My thoughts based on his younger years -

Francis was not a favorite because the sand and entry/exit seemed harder than other beaches, the sand is "shifty" and it was hard to get in and out of the water with a little one.

Jumby's access has improved with the stairs. We visited each trip. I remember our son napping for hours under the sea grapes.

Hawksnest is good, especially towards the left where there are larger rocks to sit between and explore with those little hands.

Gibney has nice shade but the walk back up might give you a work out if you are carrying him/her.

I would avoid Salt Pond. The walk back was like a death march.

Something we learned to do was to carry a jug of rinse water in the Jeep. Our son did not like to be sandy once off the beach. I would strip him down and get the worst of the sand off with a towel and use the rinse water as a quick shower. That way we could all enjoy the ride home wtih a stop for a late lunch or shopping.

Chicago
Level Contributor
194 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do with Baby

Agree with all the previous advice - just wanted to add a few more tidbits. We've been traveling to St John at least once/year since our oldest was in diapers. Our youngest made her first trip at 11 weeks. Our favorite beaches are Maho (easy in but no facilities), Gibney (big schlep down and back but excellent shade), and some of the beaches at Caneel (particularly Honeymoon but it's a long hike and the water entry is not good for babies, bu the beach is very wide and there is a ton of shade). Caneel also gives you access to restaurants and easy access at some of the other beaches.

I know you asked mainly about where to go, but here are a few things we learned along the way:

If you don't have one already, get a long sleeved rash guard and a big sun hat for the baby. It will save you the strife of continually reapplying sunscreen to a sandy baby.

Beware of the sand flies/no-see-ums that come out at around 3:00-4:00 at many of the beaches. When my daughter was one, she was eaten alive while calmly playing in the sand late one afternoon. We usually leave the beaches by 3:00 or spend more of the late afternoons in the water.

If there aren't any beach toys where you are staying, you can easily buy some at the Chelsea Drugs by Starfish Market.

Have a wonderful trip!

Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do with Baby

Fantastic advice!! Thank you all.

7. Re: Things to do with Baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 10:26
Get answers to your questions about Coral Bay