We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Days

Concord, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Rainy Days

Hi Everyone,

I knew we were taking our chances by booking our trip in October. I just looked at the forcast and it looks like rain every day. October 23rd to the 31st are the days we will be there. I know that the forecast sometimes looks worse because the rain is isolated. What are the chances it might rain every day we are there? And what happens if we have a charter booked on a bad weather day? Do they still go out?

Thanks,

Julie G

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy Days

I wouldn't get stressed over the forecast. Regarding the charter, we booked with Captain John this past January and woke up to monsoon rain. We called him and asked the status. He said it wasncompletely up to us whether we went or not. We decided to risk it and by the time we pulled out of Cruz Bay, the sun was shining and there was a beautiful rainbow!

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy Days

Every year I go to the VI's the forecast always seems to say rain every day. I feel that is the weather website accounting for a passing shower. I usually look at the expected rainfall on accuweather more than the type of weather they're predicting.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy Days

To get an idea of rain I keep an eye on the webcams. Doing that you get a very good idea of what is going on and how it can be raining on North Shore but Cruz Bay is bright and sunny, and how all in all there can be showers every day but not much in the way of activity altering storms.

http://www.stjohnspice.com/spicecam/

http://lajollacaribe.com/site/la-jolla-caribe

Are two for a good perspective. Would guess outside of a tropical storm of some sort, chances of getting rained on a bunch are pretty slim.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
77 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy Days

Wow burgec, I just checked out those two cams and both were dark. Very accurate.

St. John
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy Days

We had our trip cancelled this summer, but it was due to pretty rough sea conditions and lots of rain. We rescheduled a few days later. Don't worry...you'll be fine! Enjoy your trip!

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy Days

Our default forecast typically says at least 30% chance of rain. That is for a normal all sunny, or mostly sunny day. If you see 60% chance of rain, that usually means we will see some rain, but that could be just a brief shower or a good rain. The forecasts are to be taken with a grain of salt. Tropical waves, storms, and hurricanes are the only things you should be really looking at the forecast for. And like with the last storm, the forecast can sometimes get it wrong. Rafael made a turn to the north and brought us only (as St. John Source stated), "Minor Rain, Strong Breezes"

Most charter boats will either cancel, or let you cancel, if the weather isn't going to be nice. There are also plenty of times where it is raining on St. John, and dry and sunny in the BVI. Just ask the boat company what their policy is. Have a great time!!

Concord, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy Days

Thanks for all your responses! One way or the other I can't wait to get to St John!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainy Days

Don't worry, you'll be fine. We've been 7 times so far and had one trip with consistent rain but maybe for only 3 days. Any place can have unpredictably bad weather but I can tell you ,like everyone else, to plan on a quick shower mid day every day followed by a glorious rainbow. And plan on a heavy, quick shower most overnights. You're gonna love it!

9. Re: Rainy Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2013, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Coral Bay