We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through France

Ideford, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Driving through France

Our family of two adults, two nine year olds and one dog are planning to drive from Roscoff to Carcasonne in one day in late July. Any suggestions for places to stop where we can stretch legs, paws and eat? Have never seen Loire and not sure that is en route.

7 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,371 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving through France

hi

this is the link for the drive on a michelin map = it shows10+ hrs of driving mostly on tolled motorways - stops extra.

It is going to be a very long day if you decide to drive all the way in the same day.

http://tinyurl.com/kkm72o3

Angers, France
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving through France

Which day of the week are you travelling ? There are many possible itineraries, from Roscoff to Carcassonne. Via Quimper ou Rennes, via Saint Nazaire or Nantes. via Luçon/ La Rochelle or Saintes.

It's a long day, but with traffic congestions, it can become very very long day ! so it's important to made the good choices ! They are also cheapest ways, and sometimes, it's faster !

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving through France

If you were two experienced drivers travelling on your own, this drive would be just about possible in a day but you certainly wouldn't enjoy it and the 1.000 km drive would take you around 12 hours even with an absolutely minimal allowance for necessary stops. If it were a Friday, Saturday or Sunday in late July you could add a couple of hours or more to this for traffic delays, a lot more if you were unlucky and there was a major accident ahead of you. This is going via the A63 where the tolls will easily top € 50, if you go via the A20 to halve the toll bill you can add another hour-plus to the drive time. Remember you are heading south, hopefully straight into an increasingly hot sun, aircon obviously helps but the driver and front seat passenger will still feel that they are being cooked........ and if it isn't sunny but wet, the speed limits drop increasing the journey time yet more.

With two youngsters and a dog in the car, you need an intermediate stop somewhere in the middle, say just north of Bordeaux. Spread over two days it will still be a hard drive with little spare time to go wandering off autoroutes to find "nice little places to stop", but it will be doable.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving through France

What a horrible idea! You need a MAP.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving through France

The OP was in 2014!!!!

Wonder how they got on?

Talke, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving through France

I would t entertain such a drive myself I've done Saint malo to Bordeaux and the Atlantic coast about thirty mins fro. There but the idea of surgery sounds no fun. Anyway for anyone that does do this I suggest that you stop off a Nantes for a good meal break before the motorway to Bordeaux then I'd get as far as possible tbefore the next meal. I would of recommended an overnight at Bordeaux as that's more than enough driving for anyone from roscoe for the positives of the route the paid tolls won't start till after Nantes. Make sure you have food drinks etc you need before hitting the tolls also fill up in Nantes Google the hypermarkets in the area convent for you it will have fuel as well as an opportunity to eat and stock up and for a walk. After that it's 240 ish km to Bordeaux so you will probably need another little walk and a loo break half way so go for a service area that is not just a picnic bench and a we sign as that will be a hole in the ground for ladies too. Good luck

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,442 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving through France

Sam:

This thread was started in April 2014 and has been dead since November 2015. Why did you dig it up?

Reply to: Driving through France
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Royan
Recent Conversations