We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski schools morzine

Kilkenny Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Ski schools morzine

Any tips on a good ski school in Morzine for adults. There is a big difference in price between esf and some of the english based schools? Or would you be better getting maybe 3 days X 2 hrs private tuition?

Any tips greatly appreciated!

pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
81 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski schools morzine

I've skied in Morzine but haven't taken lessons there. However, last year my children (never skied before) had private lessons in Flaine. I had to do this as we were only there for 3 days and ski schools were for a whole week. I was really pleased at how well they got on and would now give the advice to anyone to take private lessons. There was no waiting around for others and the teaching was exactly aimed at their confidence and competence levels. I think they got more out of 3 day /2 hours individual tuition than they would have got in a week of ski school, and they certainly got the skiing bug. I'm bringing them to Morzine this time. The benefit of ski school though is that it is more sociable and you'll meet people to ski with and have a vin chaud with. Have a great time.

Kilkenny Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski schools morzine

Thanks for the advice, I think you are right that maybe 3 days of 2 hr private lessons are better and it frees up more time to explore the slopes!

Switzerland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski schools morzine

Private lessons, particularly if there are two of you, is a much better way to learn to ski and can often work out at not much more money than a group ski-school lesson. In my opinion, forget ESF which is a real "factory" approach and very "hit and miss" as to the quality of your instructor.

There can be a big cost difference between English language ski schools. I have heard positive feedback about BASS and Easy-to-Ride, although I have not used them myself. These schools offer group and private lessons.

I have used, and can highly recommend Ecole 360. Although based in Les Gets, their Instructors can meet you at the top of the Pleney lift. We had the best Instructor yet, "Jerome Show", who speaks English and is a really great teacher, who also makes the lesson enjoyable. The hourly charges at Ecole 360, Euro40 per hour, are much less than most of the other ski schools.

Europe
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski schools morzine

Unless it's for children, i'd go for private lessons as well. I've had lessons in Morzine a couple of years back with the ESF and wasn't pleased with it at all. The group was way too large (15+ people) and since it was the highest level for group lessons available, I expected a bit more personal attention to perfect my skills, not just some general comments that may or may not apply to your skiing. Also, the instructor was said to speak english but didn't (and only after several times asking did he slow down a bit so I could understand his french).

A year later, I took two hours of private lessons and that was just great. I learned a lot, exactly the things I wanted to improve and had a lot of fun.

For children, I'd say it's a different story. Mine like skiing and learning to ski, but like even more to be with other children their age. I'd rather have them learn a little and have a lot of fun than the other way round ;)

London
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski schools morzine

Hi

I skied in Morzine last year and looking to go back again this year. I took lessions with Easy to Ride. I can't praise the instructor enough. His English was excellent and seemed to have eyes in the back of his head, always noticed if you were going wrong or in trouble and always had time to explain things to each person as well as the occasional joke. BASS are good as well I've been told.

Also check out Ski Club of Great Britian's website.

6. Re: Ski schools morzine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 07:18