We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalet St Johan - Les Prodains.

Brighton, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chalet St Johan - Les Prodains.

This Chalet is run by Alpine Elements and seeing as there's nothing on Tripadvisor I'd thought I'd give some detail for those people potentially booking it.

First thing to be aware of, is that this is the last drop on the coach from Geneva. It takes roughly and hour to get to Morzine, and then you can add 45 minutes at least to get to the chalet. It's not a big deal, just we weren't aware of that.

Second major thing to be aware of is that the lifts nearby are not included in the local Morzine lifts pass. You'll need the full Portes Du Soleil pass. Alpine Elements lied to me about that. Now you know. Their free lift pass is the local one, so you'll need to upgrade at a cost of 60 euros.

That said, it's in a fantastic position. The telepherique is open until 8pm weeknights and midnight at the weekend. There is a free bus that runs into Morzine, and a taxi back will cost iro 20 Euros. If you're a capable skier/boarder then I recommend taking the chairlift rather than the telepherique. By skiing one, failry steep red, you can be at the top of the mountains above Avoriaz and enjoy some brilliant runs into the town. It's quicker too.

The Chalet itself is basic. Very basic. There is just one decent bathroom to share between up to 12 people. There is a shower in the basement (which isn't nice) and a bath on the 'ground' floor. The hot tub is in the garage. The kitchen is tiny and it's a wonder the hosts can cook a 3 course meal for 12 in there. Quality suffers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalet St Johan - Les Prodains.

Very helpful, glad there I found some feedback on this one... think I'll pass!

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalet St Johan - Les Prodains.

I'm heading here next Sunday for a mini-ski trip (till Wednesday night.) I have travelled with Alpine Elements before and although basic - had a great time. Full review upon my return!

Nottingham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalet St Johan - Les Prodains.

I just returned from a nightmare holiday at this Chalet - We took 3 small children who could not ski and to get to the ski school in Avoriaz we had to go up in a cable car and then get a chair lift to the school - basically impossible with 3 non-skiing children and all their kit - it literally took us a stressful hour and a half to get to the school and the same to get back so forget any breakfast if you have any morning lessons booked. After much complaining Alpine elements helped us get our kids transferred to ski school in Morzine but this was still a 20 minute bus ride away (+ 10 mins to walk to the bus stop) and they only do afternoon lessons in Morzine. I think I was lucky if I got 5 hours of skiing in all week - to be fair some of the best skiing I've had. The chalet itself was filthy, the food was very average and small portions. There is nothing in Les Prodains in the evening so forget any apres ski unless you're prepared for a 20 Euro taxi ride home from Morzine.

Basically DONT GO THERE unless you just want to ski, dont have small kids, don't eat much and dont want to go out in the evening.

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chalet St Johan - Les Prodains.

Ok - review as promised.

My experience of winter holidays is that you get what you pay for; this is no exception. This minibreak with Alpine Elements was cheap. And for that cheap-ness you dont get 5* luxury - you get a warm, comfortable but basic accomodation with junior staff who are doing their best and in short - we had a fab time away.

The accomodation is a 3 minute walk to the bus (assuming you can walk at a normal adult pace. Maybe longer in ski boots I suppose but in snowboard boots - no problem.

The longest we had to wait for a bus was about 2 minutes - they are very frequent and as you are the first stop - there is no problem getting a seat on the way to the slopes.

The bus drops you right at the lift for Morzine and is free.

If you buy the whole areas lift pass you can get up to Avoriaz from the same place the bus stop is.

The rooms are of an okay size - pitched roofs so a little less headroom than you would like but - aside from sleeping and changing - how much time do you spend in there? Linen was clean, fresh, not stained, ripped or anything like that and you do get a towel.

There is a toilet/shower/sink on the top floor servicing 3 twin rooms and another toilet and bath with shower over on the ground floor. All were clean, the shower on the top floor is actually pretty good, but the loo is jammed in a corner; a larger person could possibly struggle!

There is also a clean and decent standard hot-tub in the garage which although the location is weird and cold - the hot tub is a nice touch and nice after a day on the slopes.

The chalet "maid" (Martin) was a little star. Very pleasant, friendly and although quite new was a lovely lad and I wouldn't have a bad word to say about him. Some of the other staff left a little to be desired in what is a service industry but did it do anything more than give us a laugh between the group afterwards; no.

I unfortunately had my board stolen while away and the areas manager Suzie was at ahnd to assist with the police, translating for me and even picked me up and ran me around to get everything sorted - so a big thumbs up on the service fron there. Apparently thefts are not common but they always take place near gondala stations as that how the theives get away (so be extra vigilent in those areas.)

Food was hot, freshly prepared and of a decent quality however portion sizes weren't the largest. Afternoon cakes were stunning and wine with dinner was generously free-flowing (making the first night with 8 strangers end up being an absolute riot!)

All in all - adults who want a cheap break in an amazing skiing area who dont mind skimping on a few luxuries for a short break will have a great time. Me myself I plan to book next year with Alpine Elements but back over in Les Gets as I prefer those runs and you don't have to do the whole bus thing. If I cant book that and the St Johan is all that is available - I would still return.

Benjamin Fox

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chalet St Johan - Les Prodains.

Who were we? A group of 12 mixed ability 25-30 year olds who's aim was to ski hard and play hard. Value, apres-ski, easy of access, varied slopes for varied abilities and a warm bed were important. 4-11 March 2012.

Overall:

We were delighted with our experience of booking and going with Alpine Elements; given there were 12 people at our end it was a remarkably easy process; thank you all.

The Chalet:

Chalet St Johan was perfect for us - very convenient for both Avoriaz & Morzine (good description above), being able to ski in was great, and accommodation was as expected; extremely warm and cosy; it was easy to get to Morzine on the bus and there were alternative means if any late nights were planned, with the help of the Alpine Elements logistics staff (note that the French taxis stop ~midnight and the free bus ~8pm). This is a fantastic ski area (Portes de Soleil) and you have the full area ski pass so you can go deep into Switzerland or flip-flop between Avoriaz, Morzine or Les Gets.

There are two areas where the Chalet NEEDS to be improved though:

1/ the kitchen was woefully inadequate for the chalet host: the fridge had no shelves, the oven was too small for most pots and he had to balance a weight on one gas knob and the ignition in order to keep one of the hobs on - Health and Safety nightmare!

2/ Showers - just putting in a screen and a shower holder in the ground floor bathroom would improve bathing facilities/speed dramatically.

The Chalet host (Martin):

Martin was extremely hospitable, especially given he had to put up with 12 25-30 year olds with a heavy apres-ski focus and insatiable appetites. His cooking was fantastic given the kitchen conditions he was operating in - A* for effort; he was also very flexible. He could have been tighter on some admin but these were very minor points and overall he was superb.

The 'Rep':

Was a very nice guy. Sadly, he was incompetent. We didn't ask a lot and in the end we got so fed up we just went direct with ski hire/lessons etc - it saved us time, impatience and frustration. This was all very easy so wasn't really a problem...just wondered what he was doing all day.

The logistics staff:

Helpful in general, although the team did need a fair bit of pestering to get the Hot Tub fixed (5 days).

All in all - would we recommend Alpine Elements and Chalet St Johan? Absolutely - it was perfect for our group.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chalet St Johan - Les Prodains.

Spent 3 days in Chalet St Johan. I won't be returning nor will I be using IgoSki/Alpine Elements again as their overall service for a ski break is appalling.

We were in the basement room which was small with a dinky shower and suffered rapid heat loss when others left the garage door open. The outside garage door did not open easily and we had to squeeze in and out of the chalet with gear. The hot tub is in the garage and the floor soaked everytime anyone used it , so ski boots didn't dry - no heating in here.

Martin the chalet host produced average meals from the tiniest kitchen and the portions were small. The chalet was basic.

My biggest issue is with Alpine Elements and their booking service (or lack of it). How long does it take to book flights? Seemingly a month and even then they don't get it right... why did we have to pay extra for baggage? and why are we having to resort to complaints to get a refund? We were not alone in this mismanagement of bookings as two other parties had the same issue at the airport. Alpine Elements are slow to respond to either bookings or complaints and I won't be using them again.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chalet St Johan - Les Prodains.

You must be a member of staff trying to balance this one out because of poor ratings?? ! The chalet and the whole company is appalling - I won't subject you to our experience - anyone from any category wishing to book , don't there's plenty more to choose from.

8. Re: Chalet St Johan - Les Prodains.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:46