We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,762 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

Question asked to me in another thread, but would be interesting to hear from other posters, and their reasons why they love going to DLP.

Would be a useful thread for those who are thinking of booking a first trip.

This is my reply.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g226865-i2224-k5…

163 replies to this topic
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,762 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

We have had some lovely rooms with nice views ( and balconies in the NBC ) and also free upgrade to lake view, and Admirals Floor, but never a free upgrade to a suite, let alone a honeymoon one. I have got a free Goodwill upgrade from standard lodge room to Montana Lake View room in the Sequoia in June, as I had problems booking my flights with Disney.

Always hoping for a suite upgrade one day!

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

I went to Disneyland California when I was 19 (managed to con my Mum and Dad into letting me go with my boyfriend at the time, think I told them adults were going too, then once it was paid and too late, told them that we were just going on our own - my goodness, when I think back....!)

Anyway, I remember it was the 30 year anniversary - think it was around 1985 - (yes, now you all know how old I am!) and every 30th person through the turnstiles got a prize/voucher (can't actually remember what they were) as did every 300th person, every 3,000th person and I think it was Cadillac's for every 30,000th person - anyway, don't you think it would be a fab idea if DLP did that this year with 20!

That was it for a long time then we took our (then) 4 year old daughter a few years ago to the Disneyworld Florida, however, I really don't think she got it - I think should would have had just as good a time if we took her to the swings down the street!!!

Anyway, here we are, trying again with her and going mid June for a few days, she will have just turned 8 by then - and seriously, DH and I are still more excited than she seems to be!!! If she doesn't get it this time, next time we're leaving her behind!!!

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,762 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

Hi Juliet,

How lovely to go to Disneyland California with your BF - I am still waiting to go there. Agree that it would be a good idea for DLP to give some kind of voucher for certain guest numbers. Every 20th person would be a lot though, especially with each turnstile - that would be every few minutes at each one!

I remember one TR where the poster said their very young child enjoyed the ' bendy ' hotel buses, and splashing in puddles more than anything else! Hope your daughter ' feels the magic ' on your June trip.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

I blame my mother for my Disney obession (as my husband calls it!)....one of the earliest memories I have of her is that she wore a Mickey Mouse watch, with his arms that went round as the dial. We grew up on the Disney cartoons and flms like Mary Poppins, Bednobs and Broomsticks etc and it was always her "when we win the lotery" dream to take us to Disney World. It never happened as most we could afford was a caravan at Blackpool, allthough must say those holidays were happy ones. I still have any Disney books and toys I had as a child (anyone remember the Disney Encylopedias?!) and as an adult my Disney love turned into a mild obession with Snow Globes.....I have sooo many I can't possibly display them at once so they are stored in their boxes in the loft. I even got friendly with a lady who lived in Celebration, Florida who would go ito the parks, buy and ship over to me ones I couldn't get in the UK!! My husband jokes if the shelf with them on ever falls over we'll drown in our sleep!!

I eventually took my first trip to WDW with finance when I was 21 in 2000, then again 2001 and 2. It was everything dreamed of, the excitment of meeting Mickey was great! Despite having no kids we did the lot, all the kids rides, character meals, photos with charcaters etc.

In 2004 were celebrated 10 years together and planned a Vegas/LA trip so we could go to Disneyland California but was unable to get the time off work for this so "settled" for 4 nights at DLP, something I'd never really even thought about, fitst week of November as the Christmas season started, staying at the Sequoia Lodge. We arrived at about 11am and planned to take is easy after an early morning flight but dumped our bags and headed straight to the park - as I walked down Main Street, yes the magic everyone talks about hit me......I knew I would not be dispointed compared to WDW. For me, its not really the rides that are the attraction but the atmosphere and the shops - I would have a complete Mickey themed house if husband let me!! We had an amazing time, in comparison to future visits the parks were very quiet, I don't remember queing for anything and quiet often could just stay on and ride again. One of my favorite memeories of this holiday is of my husband having a rather boring chicken dish in Blue Lagoon and me having this HUGE seafood platter with lobster, oysters etc served on ice on a massive platter ....his face when he saw his tiny portion in comparison!

I'd caught the DLP bug, I could get my Disney fix for a fraction of the cost of a 2 week Orlando trip and STILL have time for my 2 week sun holiday..perfect!! We stayed 4 nights at the Sequoia in Nov 2006 and then here again for a quick 3 nights as part of a France/Belgium road trip, again end Nov/into December.

In November 2008 I finally manged to get the Disney trip we'd dreamt of as children, vistiting with my mum, brother, nephew and our partners for my mum's special birthday/retirement treat. We stayed 5 nights in HNY's Empire Club after I convinced them it would be worth it as a special trip. It was worth every penny, safe to say the 5 adults got as much, if not more out of breakfast each morning with Mickey than the 1 child!

After 15 years to the day we met we married in August 2009 and finally took the Vegas/LA trip we'd planned 5 years earlier, of course with 3 days to enjoy Disneyland California! As much as I love WDW, its sheer size is sometime overwhelming and tiring and I think I prefered the California one. You can easilly hop between the parks as you can at DLP.

Mother and brother enjoyed a repeat visit to HNY in June 2010, but I missed out as was pregnant, I hated every minute of knowing they were there without me, the picture messses the constantly sent only made it worse!

Baby daughter born in Dec 2010 and it seemed ony right to take her to DLP to celebrate her first birthday. We had 5 nights at Sequioa 28th Nov-3rd December, taking my in-laws, who enjoyed it but I don't think will be returning any time soon....my Mum on the other had the DLP bug now tooo as is constantly looking for a reason why we should all go again so this June we went for another one of her special birthdays, again in the Empire Club - they have never stayed anywhere else and have become spolit by it!!

We had another amazing holiday in June with lots of cherished memories, but to me, I love DLP at Christmas time, if I don't go at the end of Nov/early December its like Christmas hasn't arrived!! 2 trip in 6 months was a bit much for husband, I think relieved I now have daughter for future visits! So have booked a suprise trip for end Nov for 4 nights at HNY just for me, mum and daughter who will be just 2, we plan just to enjoy the shops, watch parades etc, eat some lovley meals and enjoy time with my mum - it's killing me not teling her yet!

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,762 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

Hi Lou, really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for posting. You echo my own thoughts in many respects. Interesting to hear about your snowglobe collection.

I also have a friend who lives in Celebration! She and her daughter were the ones who went to DLP when it opened and encouraged us to go with them in July, setting of my own obsession. DH comments that they are to blame every time we see them!

After going to DLP with them every summer for some years, along with some pre Christmas trips, they went to WDW for the first time, got hooked on the parks and weather, and moved there. Their home is a total tribute to Disney - you would love it. Each bedroom is themed on a different Disney park or hotel. Everywhere you look are Disney ornaments, pictures and collectables. I don't think Disney sell any merchandise that they havn't got. A whole bedroom is just for their Disney soft toys.

Our friends are here at the moment as they have tickets for the Olympics, so we have met for lunch and dinner. Lovely to see them again, and of course they keep asking when we are going to stay with them again. Must admit I would love to see WDW during Christmas season with the Osbourne Family Lights which I know are fantastic.

Shame I will just miss you in November by a few days. Another time maybe!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

Oh, soooo jealous, I would love to live in America, l long story but my family left Ireland, settled in America like so many in the 1900's then back to England 3 generations ago and I always feel like I'm actually part American!! I would love a house like their's, I remember seeing a celebrities house on TV and their dining room was a replica of Haunted Mansion, carpet, wallpaper, dead flowers the lot - it looked amazing!

I would love to go to WDW for Christmas, there was a documentary about it on Sky and me and mum end up watching it each time I'm at her house! It looks so much fun! I think the first US trip with daughter will actaully be to California, maybe a week at Disney then one at a National Park to relax! Maybe we'll do that 2014 which for our 5th wedding anniversay/20 years together annniversary.

My absolute dream holiday is a week at WDW Grand Floridian, then a week on the Disney Cruise line followed by a week at Disneyland Grand California Hotel......better get buying them lottery tikcets!!

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,762 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

My friends are going back to California / Anaheim park in September, then catching the Disney Cruise Line from there, to Castaway Cay I think, Disney's Private Island. They have been on Disney Cruises a few times, and recently went on one to Canada and New York. They keep telling me I must do that as well!

Agree about Lottery tickets...

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
48. Re: When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

I first visited Disneyland Paris at 6 months old in December of it's opening year in 1992, a christmas family tradition that still continues, this christmas will be my 22nd visit!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

Wow!! lucky you!!

My daughter will be two this December and we have managed to make it the past two years so I am hoping it will become a tradition (or excuse!!) for us to go every year to celebrate her birthday!!

Hartlepool
Level Contributor
265 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?

I was lucky enough to go overnight with work in Oct '02 and thought it was fab. I then booked as an Xmas surprise for my daughter and we went Jan 04 and have gone every Jan/Feb since, this year will be our 10th year but instead of going Jan (due to daughters GCSE) we are going before Xmas - haven't experienced this before as always just finishing when we get there. Always cold but sunny when we've stayed, always staying 5/6 nights - I think we have only had 3 days rain in all the times we have been - and snow only once last year. Have stayed in all the Disney hotels apart from the Disneyland Hotel - staying in 3 on our last visit. Have been lucky enough to get upgraded to the honeymoon suite in the Sequoia lodge one time and mostly vip breakfasts. Only 72 days till our next visit.....

Reply to: When did your love of Disneyland Paris begin and why?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted