We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High & Lows 12-15 Sept

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
High & Lows 12-15 Sept

Highs & Lows

Just returned from a 3 night stay in Disney, Wed 12th – Sat 15th. First Timers with 2 full days in the park, Dad and 2 grown teens, have done WDW and Disneyland, Anaheim previously. We chose to drive to DLRP, taking the ferry from Dover to Calais. Stayed at the Explorers Hotel.

Ferry – was nice and easy arrived early for both journeys, and got on earlier ferry’s - no charge. We with through P&O, old ferries need revamping, but fine for short journey.

Drive – to Disney was easy, not very well signposted but we had directions.

Explorers Hotel - was fine, kids orientated hotel. Bit old and again could do with a revamp. Drove into the parks each day, free parking through the hotel.

Tickets – never paid a penny, got free tickets through Sky, Expedia and P&O. Easy to exchange each morning, ID needed though

I’d recommend if the parks are opening at 10am, get there at 9-9:30 if driving. No queue to get into the car park, or the park. Leaving Disney on the Saturday morning we were driving past the ticket booths for parking, car were at a standstill, queues as far as the eye could see, at around 9:50am.

Also if you like buying the ride photos, they’re currently offering at 5photopass card. It’s a prepay card €35 for 5 photos, not sure how many days it’s valid for, I presume around a week if not longer. We only found out on the last day, good value though.

Highs

Crush’s Coaster –not what I was expecting, nice little thrill ride, if only it had fastpass.

Tower of Terror – first time ever riding for us, loved it dunno why we havn’t done it before.

Dreams – loved the fireworks, watched them both nights

The Parades – we saw all three, Disney Magic being the best.

Stars n Car was too short, and the 25th Anni one was nice.

Characters – they were out and about everywhere

Thunder Mountain – Longer, better....loved it!

Indiana Jones – good ride, could have been a little longer.

Gibson Girl – We got 3 scoops of Ben & Jerry’s and the girl didn’t half fill our cup up, definitely got our monies worth

Coupons – The nice little coupons, we occasionally got at the end of transactions, we got 10% off merchandise in Walt Studios, and a free cup of coffee in Disneyland.

Lows

CM’s – need to learn how to smile. Experienced a rude CM at

Disney Village, wasn’t very polite at all, spoke down to us, when we were just trying to take a picture

Smoking - What’s up with smoking in the parks, I don’t care if your French it’s a family destination, and no smoking allowed, only in designated areas.

Lucky Nugget – We had lunch here, we ordered 2 Angus burgers, and a chicken burger. And got 1 Angus, 1 chicken and a child’s meal. We told the waitress it was wrong, she took it away only to come back with the manager, and we had to explain it all to her, and the receipt clearly showed what we had order. They made nonsense about nothing. Also LN had no atmosphere, what-so-ever a bit of background music or dancers on the stage something.

Characters’ Attendants – don’t exist. Where are the orderly queues, the characters just get mobbed by a crowd of people, and I doubt the kids get much time to interact with the characters, quick autograph and photo. There is 1 attendant to every 4-6 characters, standing the background doing nothing.

Line Cutters – Only noticed on space mountain, teenage boys each time and nothing does anything to stop them, there was a few boys that came through the emergency exit to get on the ride, the CM’s were aware about it but did nothing. But never with all the theme parks I’ve been to, have I ever seen line cutting.

Other Guests – When queuing do people, not know anything about personal space. It seems to be a European thing, I also experience it in Italy too, in America never had an issue.

20th Anni Cards – They had run out, sold out, were getting anymore

crazy.

Photo Albums – Usually buy a Disney photo album at every trip, but the Paris ones all said “Photo Album” on the spine, ruining them and no year on them either!

Reading this back, it does sound like I have moaned a lot, but we did really enjoy our time at Disney! Would we ever return back again....maybe in quite a few years times, when there’s newer attractions, or if I really need a Disney Fix, but the guests and atmosphere of the park was just a bit of a turn off. But Disney have got a huge piece of land there, they could expand another 1 or 2 parks probably more and make it more the size of WDW.

1. Re: High & Lows 12-15 Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 10:17