We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border crossing with infant Eurostar

London, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Border crossing with infant Eurostar

This may sound daft but it's got me paranoid now like I've missed doing/buying something.

We have bought two tickets for Eurostar for our trip Sunday and 18 month old bubba will sit on one of our laps for the duration there and return. It just seems bonkers to me that we'll be going through a gate to board a train when one of the travelling people has no ticket. For anyone who's done this before, what is it like with 2 adults and an infant? Do you just show the passport for baby and passports/tickets for adults with seats and they let you all through the gate? I just can't get my head around this. Thanks!

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border crossing with infant Eurostar

< Do you just show the passport for baby and passports/tickets for adults with seats and they let you all through the gate? >

You open the gate at check-in by holding the barcode on your ticket against a scanner, or by putting the ticket in a slot on the gate (depending on what kind of ticket it is). If there is a problem carrying the baby through the gate, there will be Eurostar staff there to help you. Eurostar staff are not interested in your passports.

You show your passports to French immigration control, but they will not want to see your tickets.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border crossing with infant Eurostar

<<It just seems bonkers to me that we'll be going through a gate to board a train when one of the travelling people has no ticket.>

The situation would be exactly the same when travelling on the London Underground (without the immigration/passport bit of course). You simply put your ticket through the scanning machine and get on the train.

London, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border crossing with infant Eurostar

Ah the tube comparison is great, clear as a bell. Thanks! Because it's an international train journey I was just thinking more in terms of air travel...you go nowhere through any gate without a ticket. Just seems a bit lax and far too stress free lol.

Ormesby St...
Level Contributor
458 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border crossing with infant Eurostar

Even in an airport infants dont have a ticket. Only fare paying people get tickets. We went in jan 2 adults n 2 infants they checked passports at checkin for all 4 but only needed our adult tickets which isnt a prob.

Dont forget when u go through security it is much like an airport in that they xray everything including buggys so be prepared

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,901 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border crossing with infant Eurostar

Hi,

I have only caught the Eurostar from St Pancras, where you scan your tickets at the checkin turnstiles to go through to security checks. There are always staff to help, as Colin says. Going through security is the same as in airports - everything has to go through the xray machines and you walk through the security arches, then collect your things. Sometimes they do random checks, as my son was asked to open his case for no reason, and unpack it. I arrive at the Eurostar an hour before my train to make sure I have plenty of time.

You then go through passport control where they just check passports - not train tickets. If you are going from St Pancras, the departure gates for MLV Chessy / Disneyland are on the left, so just wait there until the gate number shows on the board. They usually announce boarding about 20 mins before train time, and you go on a moving escalator which does not have steps, or lift, up to the platform. The carriage numbers are on the platform floor, which many people don't notice. Carriage 18 is the front of the train, so quite a long walk if boarding at St P.

If you return on the direct Disney train from MLV Chessy, there is a staff member on duty at Eurostar checkin on the top (3rd) floor who asks for your train ticket and passport together, and checks both. You then go through security checks and down two levels by lift or escalator for the train. If you are collecting luggage from the Disney Express Desk it is best to do this an hour before your train, as it can be very busy with long queues if the train is full.

Hope you have a lovely time!

Edited: 06 September 2013, 10:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Border crossing with infant Eurostar

It just seems really lax to me that if you book Eurostar separate from your hotel package, there is really zero record of your un-ticketed child travelling on that particular train - I put absolutely no details of him in the system. Doesn't make sense to me at all! I do know how the ticket/entry process works for Eurostar, we've been on it at least a dozen times, just not with a kiddo so this particular scenario is entirely foreign.

Also forgot entirely that we booked a seat for him when we flew last year, long haul. We couldn't score a bulkhead seat in advance, and I wasn't about to take chances on having to hold him for 10 hours. So we did have a ticket then which quite probably explains why this is only confusing me now!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Border crossing with infant Eurostar

If you're in London, have you really never travelled on the London Underground or all the other regular UK trains?

Infants go free on trains everywhere, no ticket needed, and you are let through the gates.

All over London, all over the UK, in fact all over Europe, this is so normal...

Eurostar is exactly the same as every other train in Europe!

Edited: 06 September 2013, 13:44
London, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Border crossing with infant Eurostar

Regularly, actually. And last time I checked, the tube didn't undertake a border crossing, nor did you require a passport to use it. So, no, it's not exactly the same. Easy, killer.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Border crossing with infant Eurostar

Oh, you need a passport, for sure. But ticketing-wise, the train company is quite happy!

Have a great trip!

Edited: 06 September 2013, 14:28
London, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Border crossing with infant Eurostar

Just saw you there Figgy, thank you for taking the time to write all that. I'm sure we'll make more priceless memories than we can count. :) Thanks again for all your help!