We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

DON'T know how true this is BUT.....

Just trying to sort something on my premium meal plan, which I purchased seperate before the current free meal plan offer was on, and the American lady on phone told me that not all of the higher category restaraunts are accepting a lower category voucher and allowing you to pay difference as they have been offered free. I can not see how they can determine this, unless the free ones are printed with no face value on them.

Don't want to worry anyone who is planning on doing this, but I would also double check when making ADR's if that is your plan. It yet again could be a case of speaking to the wrong person but thought I would mention it just in case. Maybe someone who has been recently and booked the free meal plan can contradict this x

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

I have also been told three times now you can't upgrade your plan when booking using the free meal plan - for example if you book Sequioa you would get the Plus plan free, but if you want to pay the difference and upgrade to the Premium plan it can't be done. Again, don't know if anyone else managed to do this whilst this offer is on.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

Thanks for the update LKA. That's a bit alarming, if they're not going to accept them in higher category restaurants. Hope this is the usual DLP miscommunication.

Royston, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

This is exactly what I was told this morning when trying to book Buffalo Bills Show, had to pay it separately and couldn't upgrade using vouchers. They said it was because half board is free with my booking and it's same for all restaurants above our eating plan. Boo!! What a shame. I'm crossing my fingers that vouchers will be all the same when we arrive so we can offset them against character dining!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

We were told we could upgrade to full board [which we did] but not a higher grade of half or full board , however, i didn't think to ask about offsetting vouchers at different restaurants or Buffalo Bills

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

Hi yes we added half board plus after booking with SL but that was before the new deal came out with 20% & free meal plan. We've payed £270 for HB+ I mentioned how the new deal came out and they said it worked out cheaper to pay for that than change reservation. I rang before and asked about premium and i was told i could not i could only go plus, i also asked to book inventions and asked if i could pay difference with my HB+ voucher and she said yes!

Abergavenny
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

They were allowing this in the Summer, we used out free HB Standard at face value at Cafe Mickey although they wouldn't let me have my shareholders discount as well and at the Silver Spur Steakhouse where one of my sons did not want the HB meal and ordered off the A La Carte menu instead.

I wouldn't leave it to chance, try to get an email reply from dlp and take it with you if you're wanting to use them face value and anticipating problems.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,244 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

They did tell me that people cannot use the lower value FB 'lunch' vouchers in different restaurants than stated, or for their Euro value, when I asked about this some time ago.

I do remember posters saying that they could not choose to upgrade to a higher meal plan category with the 'Free Dining' offers, but I can't recall anyone saying in the past that they could not use the HB ones or higher value FB ones at their face value in Euros in restaurants.

But you know what Disney are like - things change all the time...and their left hand often has no idea what the right hand is doing.

When I booked for our June trip staying at Sequoia Lodge, I got 40% off. Then the 'Free HB Dining' offer came out, with 20% off. When I priced up adding HB to my existing package, it was still cheaper than the 'Free Dining' one.

I see it as clever marketing - with a 40% off hotel / park tickets offer people could eat offsite in Val DE, buy food from the Auchan, live on Pot Noodle etc for a few days, and be quite frugal with money. By telling people they are getting something free, and just giving 20% off the inflated base price, Disney are making more money and ensuring that visitors eat in Disney restaurants, hopefully buying extra drinks with their meals.

When meal plan vouchers were introduced in 2009 they offered 'free Full Board dining' OR 40% off. I opted for the Free Full Board for 4 adults, which turned out to be my mistake, as we didn't use all our lunch vouchers, and when I priced up where and what we had eaten I would have saved more having 40% off and paying for our meals. (with no AP or CA discounts).

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

I hope its not true about not using the vouchers at face value in higher tier restaurants as I am planning to do this.

I can't understand why they wouldn't let you as it means that you will be spending more money than if you stick to the restaurants within your meal plan.

I have plus vouchers and asked if I could add a princess meal to my package. I was told no because the free vouchers weren't premium, but that I could book it through dining reservations and pay on the day, using the plus vouchers at face value. I hope this is the case I think I will need to double check, as we wanted to go to inventions too.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

I hope it's not the case for you either Freddy. Fingers crossed x

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FREE Half board vouchers - maybe check before using??

I added my standard vouchers on and paid for them (we are staying in sql but didn't want plus this time) I hope there is a difference in the ticket as we plan on using 2 days worth at face value and I don't want to be refused, fingers crossed I wont its a bit late to change anything now, we leave for London tomorrow night

Get answers to your questions about Disneyland Paris
More Disneyland Paris Topics