We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking in DLP?

Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking in DLP?

What's the situation for smokers? I'm not a smoker myself, but I do get bothered by the smoke. In CA they have a few outdoor areas that people stick to. Is it as strict in DLP? I assume there's no indoor smoking anywhere (or even outdoor eating areas)? Not sure what the laws are in France. In the Netherlands there's no smoking in public places indoors for quite a few years, but you still see people smoking just inside the door of a cafe, supermarket, etc. with bad weather. Drives me nuts!

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,514 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking in DLP?

Hi Jennifer,

If you look in the TQ list there is one about smoking in DLP. Being in Europe where the attitiude towards smoking is very different than in the USA (and now the UK) far more people do smoke.

There are designated areas in the parks for this, but they are a request, not a rule, and Cast Members do not force people to use them. With so many visitors who do smoke, and see nothing wrong with it, they would need a lot more CMs to be able to enforce this effectively.

Even if a CM did ask a guest to put out a cigarette and move to a designated area, they would just light up again as soon as the CM had gone. Many visitors sadly don't have any respect for CMs in DLP as they do in the USA.

Smoking is not allowed indoors.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,514 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking in DLP?

The TQ about smoking is actually in the list on the MLV Forum page, our original forum for DLP, so I will add a new one to this forum TQ list.

The designated smoking areas were only added in the parks in 2008, so only 5 years ago. They are shown on the park maps but not very clearly and can be hard to find. They are highlighted on this map

dlrpmagic.com/planning/…

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,514 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking in DLP?

This is a previous thread about smoking in DLP

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g226865-i2224-k4…

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking in DLP?

Hi im a smoker and was suprised with how relaxed the attitude is to this in paris. I hadnt been for about 6 years as had been to orlando instead where you are only allowed to smoke in certain areas in the park and hotels.

I planned to smoke in the various designated areas but after seeing noone else I ended up smoking in the corners away from people and blowing smoke away.

I was ashamed at the amount of people who were smoking all over the place and blowing smoke into childrens faces. Even holding their fags down low - imagine it hitting a child in the face.. I had a few gos at parents doing it to my son.

It seems to be certain nationalities more than others (as per) who dont respect other people. Would have preferred if it was more like america tbh

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking in DLP?

no, its not like in california, and as figgy explained, in france the attitude is more relaxed. whilst im a non smoker (always have been), personally i dont like the witch hunt that is going on towards non smokers and whilst i do not like people blowing smoke into my or my childs face, i do also not quite like the rigid rules towards smokers, so as long as smokers smoke in a bit out of the way area in the open, i do not care or mind.

we havent experienced almost any smoking in queues when we were there..maybe once, but that was all. otherwise i wasnt paying attention and its only for a couple of days.

im far more annoyed at people drinking too much to be honest, that bothers me to no end.

every nationality has its fault i guess..some nationalities tend to "respect" people when they smoke, but no respect when they drink. on the other hand, those, especially from the south who dont care where they smoke, tend to cause less drinking problems..

Edited: 09 November 2013, 13:33
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking in DLP?

btw, why i mentioned drinking is because i read complaints and bad reviews from people complaining they couldnt take beer and other booze into the Disneyland Paris parks.

glasgow
Level Contributor
614 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking in DLP?

To be honest, the smoking situation is disgusting in DLP. It is the thing which really upset me on our last trip.

People will smoke in queues, or if you're waiting to see Dreams, or parades. Even if someone is squashed right up against you, they will think nothing of lighting up, and blowing smoke right in your face, and in the faces of your children. In a family theme park, in this day and age, with all we know about the dangers of passive smoking, I found it shocking. And the CMs will do nothing about it.

I don't know what the answer is. When some people are so thoughtless and rude, what can be done?

So, sorry to say, but it will probably drive you mad in DLP! We holidayed in the Netherlands in May (Visited Wassenaar, Den Haag, and a theme park) and the amount of smokers we encountered in any public place was negligible, DLP was FAR worse, I'm sorry to say. We had a great trip, and hope you do, too, but the smoking situation is awful.

glasgow
Level Contributor
614 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking in DLP?

Not sure when you are going? Possibly you won't be considering eating outdoors anyway, if you're visiting in the winter months, but be warned that people sit and smoke at he outdoor eating tables, too. Again, no CM asks them to stop. They'll sit there, blowing smoke all over your food, without a thought for you or your children. Utterly disgusting.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,514 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking in DLP?

gf11 - I'm not sure how many people smoke in the Netherlands, but it is very common in France and Spain, and many see nothing wrong in smoking around children. You may consider it disgusting, but the majority of DLP visitors don't see it as a problem like we do. As I said - they would need a huge number of Cast Members continually stopping people smoking, or threatening to evict people from the park (as happens in the US) and CEO Philippe Gas is reluctant for DLP CMs to become as heavy handed and Officious as they are in the USA.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking in DLP?

Me and dh don't smoke and have no family or close friends that smoke, my children are never around it other than outdoors walking past people, this didn't bother me in disney, but when we had been waiting for the parade for twenty mins and someone behind us decides to start smoking I made it very clear I was annoyed, I wasn't rude, I turned dd2s buggy around and stood in front of her and dd1 the man obviously noticed as he moved away and then came back afterwards. I think that some nationalities are not used to the same customs as us and don't realise. Smoking outdoors away from others is not a problem but smoking in close proximity to others is not on.