We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

Hi we are going on the 19th till the 23rd which I know is the busy season. How do you keep the little ones and quite frankly the big ones entertained in the massive queue?

Thanks All!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

Hi we went in the summer and ques where massive i took innotabs and hand held game consoles. What about a tablet or something download a movie. cartoons games. Plan what you want to do next i found it easier to ask the kids what they wanted to go on next wanted a meal or snack so then they didnt get grouchy and they lasted 7am till 11.30pm with no naps

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
897 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

Depends how old they are, but our favourite game for queues last time was 'I'm thinking of a Disney character' - one person thinks of one, the others have to ask questions which only have yes or no answers and try to work it out. Whoever gets it right gets to think of the next one.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

good old fashioned i spy for dd1 with dd2 her ipad :)

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

Great thanks all x

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,250 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

Hi KNBD,

When we first took DS1 to 'EuroDisney' he was 6, and Game Boys had only recently come out, so I carried that in my bag with some games. When we took DS2 as well later, he also had a Game Boy, but we also played things like I Spy, and just chatted about Disney things. I also took some kids puzzle / quiz books with me which we did together. Some ride queues have things to look at, and the boys sometimes got talking to other children near us.

Many parents worry about keeping young children occupied in ride queue lines but I found that DH got more impatient than my boys did - he hates queueing or waiting for things! The boys took it all in their stride really - they understood that they had to queue if they wanted to ride (unless we used Fastpass, and even then there will be some waiting).

As you are staying in the DLH, don't waste time queueing for rides during the day that are open for Extra Magic Hours. You will also get one Fastpass ticket per person per day. Use Fastpass as much as possible, and do other popular rides that have longer queues (like Autopia, Parachute Drop, Crush's Coaster, early if possible. Queue lines also tend to drop when a parade is due and people are lining the route.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

Thanks Figgy I need to sit down one night this week and understand fast pass and emh!

I hope you had a lovely time looks like you did! X

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,250 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

When you check in at the DLH ask for a leaflet which lists the rides open for Extra Magic Hours on your dates. Or they should be on display at the Concierge Information Desk in the hotel. About 7 rides are usually open in Fantasyland and Discoveryland from 8am, apart from some dates in January and February when the parks are not busy.

Fastpass is explained here -

dlrpmagic.com/planning/…

I don't think the daily Fastpass they give you in the DLH can be used between 1pm and 4pm.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,250 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

The usual rides open for EMH include -

Peter Pan's Flight

Dumbo Flying Elephants

Lancelot's Carousel

Mad Hatters Teacups

Buzz's Laser Blast

Space Mountain

Orbitron

Also sometimes Small World, Star Tours, Snow White or Pinocchio rides.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

Get a Disney trivia book and do a game with it. A good one will also point out things about many rides that you might not know.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,250 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to keep the little ones entertained in the queue?

Hi LeBiscuit, that is a good suggestion. The Knapsack Guide to DLP is for children, mentioned in this thread, which is in the TQ list under Guide Books -

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g226865-i2224-k5…