We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,775 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

I started this on my iphone when I was waiting at Southampton airport this morning, but posted on the Seine et Marne forum instead of Disneyland.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1816325-i18319-…

I will continue here -

-----

So - after a bit of a bumpy flight in wind and rain leaving the UK, I arrived at Orly airport on time at 09.30 in bright sunshine. :-). As I was going through passport control I suddenly realised that I had lost one of my gold Mickey head earings, so that was rather upsetting. :-(

Luggage arrived very quickly, and Chris from Ezyshuttle was waiting for me at arrivals. I had not met him before, and we had a nice chat on the way to Hipark Serris. Chris is South African, and a very pleasant chap. The journey took about 40 mins, and Chris would not accept a tip from me.

No queue at reception for check in, and friendly chap (whose name escapes me at present) gave me a room which was ready, on 3rd floor, not far from reception and lift. I have a view over the pool which is covered for winter, and can see the Newport Bay from the window. Same design Studio room that I have had before. (see my previous review). I will write a new review later, but my room is very clean, modern and comfortable. Free wifi.

I decided not to take my waterproof trousers or poncho with me to the parks as the weather was still fine and I text Welshie to say I was just catching the 11.40 bus. He was in City Hall, so we arranged to meet there. This free peps 50 bus only takes a few mins from Hipark to Chessy station, and I was soon happy to be in resort again. It was quite cold, so was glad I had several layers and fleece jacket under my coat, warm Minnie hat and gloves. Straight through security checks, then had to stop and take my usual photo of the Disneyland Hotel over the park entrance and Fantasia Gardens. The sight never fails to thrill me when I have arrived.

Main Street station looked quite bare after the Halloween and Christmas decorations, back to normal, so took a photo of that as well before arriving in Town Square. This sight also captures me every time, and as I was walking towards the bandstand I promptly tripped over the kerb and fell over. What a numpty. First thought was for my camera, and hoping it wasn't broken. Second thought was what an idiot I must look sprawled on the ground....

Heard a voice say Are you alright? It was Welshie! He helped me up, and I reassured him I was fine. A lady stopped as well to check I was OK. Well, that is a novel way to meet a Forum poster, and I can now say that I was picked up by a Welsh man in Town Square...LOL!

Anyway - after hellos and a laugh, W said he had been asking about the guided tour in City Hall, but the only one in English is on Friday at 1pm, when we are having lunch with Jofar in Cafe Mickey. I said if he wants to do the tour Jofar will understand, and not be offended, so he can think about it before Friday. We had an hour before our 1pm reservation for Auberge, so decided to go to Thunder Mountain (BTM) and check the queue. It was only 10 mins, with Fastpasses being issued for 12.30 - 13.00. We got FPs from the machines and then joined the main queue line. Great ride, and W enjoyed it as well. When we got off the time was just coming up to 12.30, so we went straight into the FP entrance for second ride with no wait.

Welshie and I now chatting like old friends, although I probably did most of it...poor W is probably wondering if I have an OFF button....

After this it was about 12.40 so we went to Auberge DC for our lunch reservation. No one waiting, and the CM led us into the restaurant where I immediately saw Rapunzel! Well that did excite me! The only photos of her that I had were on the float in the parade. Very pleased! We had a table in the centre of the left hand side section, which was not busy. There were about 8 empty tables. They don't have any tables for 2 in the room where they dance, so we couldn't sit there. Turned out fine, as we had lots of interaction with Rapunzel, Ariel, Cinderella, Prince Charming, Suzy and Perla - not just once either - they came round again later! Suzy and Perla really seemed taken with Welshie, and were flirting with him every time they came into our part of the restaurant! We got some lovely photos, and really enjoyed our meal as well. W said he is a bit of a fussy eater, but he polished off his 3 courses, as I did. Friendly waitresses, and a family next to us had a birthday cake. ( I got a photo of it).

All the Characters spent plenty of time talking with us, and I also got a video of Cinderella and her Prince dancing. Extremely enjoyable two hours. With two extra glasses of wine the bill came to 124€ including Club Actionnaires discount, so 62€ each.

My one complaint about Auberge was the ladies toilets. How some people can leave them in the state I saw them is beyond me. No conscience or consideration. Loo roll sheets all over the floor, and on the seats. Why don't they flush away what they have torn off?? I was expecting the ladies decor and cleanliness to be more like the ones in the Disneyland Hotel, so was quite surprised.

After leaving Auberge Welshie said he had not been on many of the rides in Fantasyland on his previous trips some time ago, so we went on Pinnocchio ( 5 mins), Peter Pan's Flight (15 mins) Dumbo ( 5 mins), Small World (5 mins). Very short queues for this time of day. The park was not busy. We saw they had put up the rope for Magic On Parade, so we got places facing the gates by Small World where the parade begins. Unfortunately it was now starting to rain, but I told W they would not cancel DMOP unless it began raining very heavily. It didn't, so we watched the parade go by taking photos and video, and then went to Discoveryland.

Buzz's Laser Blast queue was only 5 mins, so we went on that and then had cappuccinos from Cafe Hyperion, sitting at the tables in Videopolis theatre. They are showing clips from films like Monsters Inc and Cars on the screens there. Sadly no show. I really miss the ones we have seen there in the past, like Beauty and the Beast, and Lion King. They were very good.

Still raining and now dark, we went on Stars Tours, with hardly any wait, and then it was coming up to 7pm and time to watch Dreams. We got a good clear view of the castle and doorway from the right hand side, by the fence near Royal Castle Stage. I love Dreams, even in the rain, and despite the water screen projections not being very good in the wind. Brollies were blowing inside out, so it was quite blustery at times. W enjoyed Dreams very much, especially the finale music and fireworks which made him feel rather emotional. That bit always brings a lump to my throat and tears in my eyes as well. He said that he didn't think anything could have topped WISHES, but Dreams does. I totally agree.

So - if you are still wading through this TR - we then walked to the Disney Village (they were showing the Winter Olympics on the large screen at Sports Bar) , and then to Sequoia Lodge after a short sit down under the heaters outside Billy Bobs. I freshened up in the ladies whilst W went to his room to change into dry clothes. ( he got wetter than I did thanks to my hat, hood, and waterproof coat and boots).

Redwood Bar was busy, but luckily I managed to get a sofa near the lovely blazing open fire. When Welshie returned we ordered Glowtinis, and I took a video of the flashing cubes changing colour. 13.99€ each. I also took photos of the drinks and bar food menu prices. They do seem to be serving food in the evening now. We saw people eating.

We got chatting to a couple sitting by us, who have a child with disabilities, and ended up telling them all about our Forum and giving them tips. They only booked last month and had no idea there are forums for DLP for information. They asked about Character Breakfast, and I took her to see Golden Forest Lounge and restaurant. A CM there was happy for me to show her inside, and confirmed that Sequoia guests can pay 10€ pp for GF breakfast. People staying elsewhere can pay 19€ pp for this. ( new info for me).

Now about 10.45pm, Welshie headed to his GF room, and I walked back through the Village to the bus station for the 11.30pm bus to Hipark. I took some menus photos on the way. Luckily it had stopped raining, but still quite cold. I asked the driver for Hipark please, and he stopped right outside the hotel for me, instead of further down the road. Nice man!

Got in the lift, pressed 3, and it stopped on 2 with the doors closed. Oh great I thought. Now I'm stuck in the ruddy lift. Kept pressing 3, and was relieved when it started again. Phew! In room at 11.45pm.

Got ready for bed, and started writing this. Now 3am, and my alarm is set for 7am.

Well , Margaret Thatcher always said she only needed 4 hours sleep...

Going to look into this no Characters in hotels business - Lelly sent me a text about it.

Until tomorrow - Day 2 to follow.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,775 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

PS. I could have done with my waterproof overtrousers and Disney plastic poncho, so that will teach me for not remembering how changeable the weather can be here. I should have stored them in a bag in Guest Luggage for 3€.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

yay you've arrived! Sounds like a nice time apart from the weather, looking forward to the rest!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

Oh Figgy you mad thing, get some sleep woman!!

Chris was the driver we really liked Chris from Ezyshuttle, he even came into the hotel when picking us up to help us with our bags.

What a great first day, can't believe how much you got done. Made me giggle that you picked up a welsh man and he picked up a couple of mice!!

Hope it stays dry for you and can't wait to hear more. Lots of us have lost the love for DLP over the last 24 hours so you might help to breathe a little of it back!

Xxx

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

(&hope someone finds your earring!)

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

Hope you managed to get some sleep.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

So enjoy reading your live reports. Sorry to hear about your earring. And your fall! You sitting by the fire in Redwood bar brought back such happy memories as we did that every night we were there last year.

Hopefully you hearing how everyone enjoys reading this so much will make up for the lack of sleep!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

Looking forward to day 2, We are celebrating dd bday in Cafe M on Friday too so will look out for you and Jofar

Hope the weather improves x

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

I love trip reports! Just the description of the view of the Disney hotel and fantasia gardens gave me a shiver of excitement - I don't remember much from our trip 14 years ago but I do remember being blown away by that view when I first see it!

Sounds like you both had a very busy but lovely first day... And what's a better way to end the day than a Glowtini :)

Figgy, the driver dropped you off outside the Hipark, how far is the walk usually? I've been looking at the Hipark for our stay at Christmas.

Interesting to hear you can have a GF breakfast even if you are not resident in the hotel... Isn't it dearer than the DLH though at €19pp? I'm guessing it's because if the characters that are present?

Sounds like you are having a great time, enjoy the rest of your stay. I look forward to the trip report updates :) x

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

oooo I would have pooped my pants if I thought I was going to be stuck in a lift haha.

loving your trippy, looking forward to more.

Glowtinis 13.99€ each I can live with that mmmm.

Cannot wait for your photos now. Is it bad that I want to drool over the cocktail menu ?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live Trip Report 11th - 14th February 2014.

Hope you've had some sleep! Sounds like a fab first day, loving the updates xx