We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland is going downhill

Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland is going downhill

We were in Disneyland Paris 3 days at the beginning of April. There was 6 of us, 4 children and 2 adults. I've been there 3 times before, the last time being 4 years ago. It looks to me like it's not up to scratch anymore.

Having paid €139 for the adult tickets, and €126 for the childrens tickets, I would have liked to have made of full use of the parks. However, in the two parks, 4 attractions/rides were closed. And quiet significant ones too. Indiana Jones, Peter Pan, and Captain Eo was closed in the Dinseyland side of the parks, and Crushers Coaster in the movie park. I know that the rides need to be maintained, but really, by April, any maintenance should have been well completed.

Also, in the 3 days we were there, Thunder Mountain, Rockin Roller Coaster, and the River Boat were closed for some time due to "technical faults". The Tower of Terror had problems too for a brief while. And in the movie park, one toilet was really really dirty and smelly. That's not good enough for an attraction like Disney. A new ride, Ratatouille , is due to open, according to the maps you get in the park in April 2014. However, reading reports elsewhere, that's more likely to be July 2014.

I believe that the park has lost a million visitors in 2013 on the 2011/2012 fiscal year. I can see why.

We did, however, have a good time there with the rides that were open, but I think I've paid my last visit here.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
913 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland is going downhill

I don't understand your 'by April' comment; as the park is open every day of the year, maintainence has to be spread throughout the year - they can't do all of it in the winter months, as visitors going then also have the right to have an enjoyable time.

I for one would rather they kept everything tip top for safety reasons. If that means closing things for refurbishment or closing temporarily for any potential issues, so be it.

I don't think the map claims Ratatouille will be open for April, the date of July has been known for a long time, but the maps are only produced twice a year, so it needs to be on there as it will be open by November when the next batch come out.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland is going downhill

Isn't captain eo closed for good now? The ride closures are online months in advance. Ride technical faults happen anywhere

England, U.K
Level Contributor
622 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland is going downhill

I thought Captain Eo was also closed for good too. Indiana Jones is having a major refurb to as they are putting in a new loop on the coaster and re building the pyramid temple part, so that is going to take several months to complete. I guess whenever Disney decide to work on rides it is going to impact some guests and make them unhappy. I am glad you enjoyed the rides you were able to go on though.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland is going downhill

Hi there

From what I have been reading and seeing online, maintenance is going on all the time to keep the place in tip top condition, they are constantly painting and touching up here and there which is a good thing. I would prefer rides I want to go on be out of action if they are not safe for any reason than be open and be put at risk. They need to close as some point to maintain them.

I don't think it is going down hill but everyone has their own thoughts on things and I will have my own thoughts after next March when we visit again.

At least you still had a good time though.

Brierley, United...
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland is going downhill

If there's were only 3 closed then that's quite good! Captain EO will not be re opening unfortunately. It is closed for good.

From what I understand, Crush has been closed to allow the installation of a single riders queue system. This has been patiently waited for as the queues for this attraction in particular are horrendous! Single rider will help to ease this.

If you had asked on here about ride closures we could easily have pointed you in the right direction for the info. It is all easily accessible and as mentioned before, planned well in advance. I am going in June and for some time I have been aware of what rides will be closed for maintenance and also what the park opening hours will be. I do not leave it to chance.

Despite this, I'm glad you had an enjoyable time, perhaps your children will remember the trip to be more magical. And that's what it's about really. :)

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland is going downhill

I went in april and even though I've been before this was the first time that I did Autopia, Casey Jnr and Le Payes des contes the fees(?). I dindt think the park was going downhill at all, it looked good imho.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland is going downhill

The last time I was at DLP was about a month ago and I noticed the same thing as the OP. Many rides were closed. I really did not care if they were scheduled to be closed or not, too many were not accessible: Peter Pan, Buzz Lightyear, the self drive cars, the Mine Train ride, among others. Even It´s a Small World was closed.

I remember at the time feeling the same way as gerry80 did; basically cheated. For many people, planning and going to Disney is a big deal and not one that is inexpensive. No one offered a reduced entrance fee, only reduced expectations and general disappointment of what the experience should have been.

england
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland is going downhill

That's such a shame. I've never felt at all disappointed & think there's a lot of positive things happening at DLP right now.

Very much looking forward to another great trip next month

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland is going downhill

We had a few things not running the other June we were there but in 3 days we still never managed everything. We actually still have the map we ticked off as we went.

Hoping to complete everything next March that we missed out on last time and anything new.

5 days next time so really hoping to do everything this time that is open. Carousel was not running last time so girls looking forward to it next time (if working :)

Woke up on our second day in Jamaica once and the pool was empty! luckily they had another one! And that one had the swim up bar so made the most of our misfortune lol

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland is going downhill

btw sorry my mistake, I went in March.

And already seen the advertised closures so wasnt that big a surprise when I went. Fingers crossed that Ratatouille will not be closed liike that next march