We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A warning

staffs U.K
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
A warning

Just got back from staying at the Santa Fe.

Third time at Disneyland and had a lovely time.

BUT had a Hudl Tablet and some inexpensive jewellry taken from the room. Both items were on the table tops. A Kindle that was in a drawer was not taken.

It seems that the cleaners leave the room doors open so presumably when they are in the bathroom they can't see if someone just pops in and grabs anything they see.

Yes I know there is a safe and of course next time the Hudl would be in there. The thief would have been very disappointed with his haul of jewellry!

I do feel that Disney have a duty of care to at least not invite thieves in by leaving doors open. Or at least tell us in big bold letters when we check in that this happens!

They have given us a letter with an incident number so we will write and see what happens.

We decided that this certainly wasn't going to spoil our holiday. But do be extra careful as sorting it all out does take you away from the Magic of Disney for a while.

Brierley, United...
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A warning

Oh crikey Lynda that's awful :(

Brierley, United...
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A warning

I'm glad it didn't spoil your holiday too much, hope something positive comes of it!!

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,821 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A warning

Thanks so much for the warning Lynda, sorry to hear this happened to you but really pleased you decided it wasn't going to ruin your trip.

I think we can feel a bit to safe when in Disneyland can't we, and leave ourselves wide open to this sort of thing.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A warning

Soory to hear you had such a rotten experience on holiday Lynda, but thanks for taking the time to warn us. It does worry me that pretty much anyone can roam the hotel corridors so reminders like this are useful. Glad it didn't ruin your trip.

Shannon, Ireland
Level Contributor
532 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A warning

Ah I am so sorry to hear about your troubles, I find we do get lulled into a sense of security because its disneyland! Even me and I would consider myself a paranoid person when it comes to securing things.

I am glad you didn't let it spoil your thrip though, it can quite easily ruin a persons mood and outlook overall. But you managed to shake it off and get on with it which I am so glad to hear.

And thanks for the warning, will be extra careful from now on

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A warning

Thank you for this warning. I think Raeannon is right, it's easy to get caught up in the Disney bubble. I wouldn't be so laid back in other hotels. Wake up call for me I think !

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,928 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A warning

Hi Lynda.

Sorry to hear you were a victim of theft in the Santa Fe. We have had a few threads about this in the past following similar experiences in the resort hotels where items have gone missing from rooms whether by accident or deliberate theft. We do advise using the room safe if possible or locking larger items in suitcase.

Items have also gone missing from cases or bags in guest luggage storage in the hotels and Disney express service so padlocks are advised for this as well or keep valuables with you.

Glad to hear you did not let this spoil your trip and always worth reminding people of the risk of theft in resort.

northampton
Level Contributor
658 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A warning

This a great cautionary reminder.

Not at Disney but when we stay in Salou last year, my parents had the room next door. While they were out, we needed to get their ipad and saw the cleaner was there and the door opened. Inocently (honest!) we just walked in and lifted the ipad and walked out. It was only when we were in our room that we realised she didn't even see us (she was on the patio) and we could have been anybody so to the opportune theif, it's a gift!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,326 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A warning

What a bummer. I hate it when so little care is taken. I once came back to a room at a conference in the states to find some guy making a phone call in my room -- the cleaner was in the bathroom cleaning and she had let him come i and do this. It was just some guy passing by who needed to make a quick call and I actually knew the guy (he didn't know it was my room). Sounds like Disney needs better procedure here to make sure thieves can't walk in while cleaners operate.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A warning

ive seen this happen in every hotel i've ever been in- cleaning cart outside and doors open while staff are milling about from room to room.

Its human nature to do things the way that is most convenient, and this makes it easy for opportunist thieves.

This is one reason why i never allow cleaning staff in the room, if i can help it.