We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reveal beforehand verses on the day

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
Reveal beforehand verses on the day

We had our first visit in March this year and have booked to go back next April and are away for DD 5th birthday. She keeps asking can she go back and saying its been her favourite holiday, yey!! I really would like to wait till the day but then looking on here I think it might be good to do they big reveal a week or so beforehand. Our last visit she knew about it from the beginning and we would watch videos on you tube so she could see what to expect. I know this has been asked loads of times before on here but i really am undecided, I know it is ages before we go, 328 days to be precise, but I need to plan.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reveal beforehand verses on the day

Hi, we've done it both ways and had lovely reactions from DD but I know from asking her that she likes to know in advance because she loves being involved in the planning. I think the idea of doing it a week befire sounds good - you can still make a big deal of it and it gives your DD tine to reach a fever pitch of excitement.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,815 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reveal beforehand verses on the day

We've done both but, honestly, I am so rubbish at keeping the secret that I kept dropping hints to the kids lol! Our best reveal was the one we did five weeks before our trip but in hindsight that was still to long to wait really.

I think a week or even two or three days before hand is perfect.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reveal beforehand verses on the day

It's difficult to know what to do for the best, isn't it? I still can't decide whether to tell my two on the day or the week before. Need to decide soon as we go a week on Sunday!

When I was in the Disney store the other day the lady in there was saying about doing an in store thing where a message came up on the big screen to tell the children they were going and give them a certificate, which sounded really sweet but might be a bit much for my two!

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reveal beforehand verses on the day

We decided to keep it quiet until a week or so before, so the excitement didn't fade too much between being told and going.

We also ensured that they had enough time to tell there classmates and teachers. where they were going.

Hope it helps.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reveal beforehand verses on the day

I planned on telling my DD the day before we went but I told her five weeks ago. Purely selfish reasons I might add. I wanted to be able to get excited!!!!!! I'm rubbish.

She was extremely happy and has enjoyed making her list of dresses to take etc. I'm still rubbish lol

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reveal beforehand verses on the day

Me too Amanda! But then DD really does enjoy the planning, restaurants, costumes, etc. and last year she spent ages making Christmas cards to take for all her favourite characters.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,764 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reveal beforehand verses on the day

Have told mine both times now as soon as I book it so they know we are going next March. It is a long time for me to expect the excitement to still be there without fading.

So I think next time it will be a complete secret until the day or even not until we get there or they figure it out on the day.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,764 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reveal beforehand verses on the day

Although I am keeping bbwws and pampering at the DLH for them to myself.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reveal beforehand verses on the day

Same here, keeping BBWWS and the Christmas room under my hat.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,764 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reveal beforehand verses on the day

Great idea Lelly.

Your daughters face when she sees the horses etc run out into that arena :):)