We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

Liverpool, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

Hi everyone,

We are travelling to Disneyland Paris at the beginning of July and my little boy will turn 7 while we are there. I want to make his birthday as fun as possible and be very organised so that we can make the most of the day without him finding out a thing (the trip is a surprise and we are only telling them on the way to the airport!)

We have ruled out Buffalo Bills Wild Wild West Show as we have four children (currently 6, 5, 2 and 8 months) and think it might be too restrictive for our baby. We would like to do some sort sit down meal and add the birthday cake option to it. I would love for characters/waiting staff to bring the cake out and sing happy birthday but the Café Mickey option doesn't grab me as it seems to be very rushed. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where we can eat where he can be made a fuss of?

Also any other suggestions to make his day go with a bang? I am going to take banners and balloons to decorate the room (Santa Fe hotel) and a badge plus cards and a few small presents so that he has things to open on the morning.

Thank you x

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

I would go for a cafe mickey lunch - the characters come to each table one by one and then bring out the birthday cake with the staff and all of the characters join at the table to Sing happy birthday! :)

There is also a place at city hall where he can get a birthday badge and a birthday phone call from the main man Mickey Mouse!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

I would go for a cafe mickey lunch - the characters come to each table one by one and then bring out the birthday cake with the staff and all of the characters join at the table to Sing happy birthday! :)

There is also a place at city hall where he can get a birthday badge and a birthday phone call from the main man Mickey Mouse!!

Edited: 06 June 2014, 00:23
London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

When we had dinner in Cafe Mickey a couple of months ago, the family at the table next to us had a birthday celebration for their little daughter. One of the characters (can't remember which, but I think it was Minnie) as well as a CM brought a cake to their table (the cake looked amazing!) and everyone sang happy birthday to her :) I thought it was very nice. The family were then kind enough to ask us and a couple of other tables near them if we wanted to have some of the birthday cake. Sadly, I'd eaten too much at that point so refused, but the birthday cake looked very big!

I also definitely recommend going to the City Hall for a birthday badge and a phone call from Mickey. My friend (who's in her 20s) did this in April and it made her day!! haha!

Edited: 06 June 2014, 03:19
Liverpool, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

Oh wow, I didn't know about the phone call from Mickey! Thank you very much! In fact it's my 30th two days after my sons and we were going to pop into Paris to have lunch by the Eiffel Tower but I don't think we'll bother now - I'm not missing that phone call from Mickey!

After much googling, it looks like Cafe Mickey is our only option really as a lot of the character dining options seem to have been stopped. Would we need to book in advance or could we book when we arrive at the hotel the day before? x

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,850 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

Hi Bexm9, welcome to the forum! We had a birthday cake brought out in Cafe Mickey in February for a joint celebration for dh and dd. Figgygirl and another poster, Welshie, were with us and it was lovely. The CM brought the cake over (as the characters wouldn't be able to hold it very well) accompanied by Chip n Dale who were great fun. They sat on our booth for pics afterwards and we have such great photos from it.

We never feel rushed at Cafe Mickey bit it is rather manic, especially when lots of people have cakes brought out and the birthday song is played every few minutes!

Otherwise you can have a cake brought out at any of the table service restaurants as far as I know, but if you want characters then it's either Cafe Mickey, Auberge de Cendrillon (which is lunch or dinner with the princesses) or Inventions. If you'll be there on a Sunday then the Steakhouse in the Disney Village also has a character brunch.

Have a look at this fab website,

dlrpmagic.com/planning/…

Edited: 06 June 2014, 07:39
london
Level Contributor
392 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

My DD had a birthday cake at cafe mickey for her 9th birthday! It was fantastic and made her birthday extra special :)

I made a personalized mickey card (an invitation for a special birthday surprise at cafe mickey) on moonpig.com before we went and left it on her pillow the night before.

I also bought a plush goofy, goofy birthday card and a goofy gift bag before we went and sneaked it onto our table before hand- still to this day she thinks it was a present from goofy :)

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

We are going in August and will celebrate DS's 4th birthday while we are there.

I am planning to make a card/invitation (probably on moonpig) "from Mickey and friends" inviting him to the character dinner that evening. Which I will leave leave by the door as if it has been slipped underneath. We are going to have an early dinner in cafe mickey to attempt to beat the manic rush and are going to book a cake for him.

As his birthday is day 3 of our holiday, I plan to take extra wrapping paper and keep an eye out for little souvenirs in the first few days and buy them on the sly to be wrapped and given to him on the day. I'm also on the hunt for Disney balloons and banners etc that I can take along and put in the room while he sleeps.

I will take a badge along, but heard they get extra attention from cast members and characters of you get them a special badge from city hall. So will try that too.

Hope he has a fab day :) x

Liverpool, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

That's a great idea, never thought of the card invitation! I'll defo be doing that. We've got interconnecting rooms at Santa Fe so I think I will decorate one while he's asleep so be can walk into it the next morning and be wowed. I didn't realise that the characters stayed by your table for photos at Cafe Mickey so that's great :-) I want to be able to take loads of pics of that special moment! We arrive after 7pm on the Sunday so the steakhouse isn't an option for us :-( can't wait now!! X

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

We again Cafe Mickey for the first time on Monday and we didn't feel rushed at all. If anything the service was very slow but that meant we got to meet all the characters twice!There were lots of birthdays going on around us and the kids faces were a picture. The cake is quite big and the candles spell out happy birthday. They play a happy birthday song and encourage everyone to clap. I think I clapped along to it at least five times! They also give you the box to take the cake away.

I'd book it!!

Xxx

London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Son's 7th Birthday while we're there - ideas to make it fab?

I was planning on having my DD's cake brought out in Auberge, but reading this is making me sway towards CM now!! ooooh what to doo?!!?