We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

London, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

I have already solved the problem of my daughter with a milk allergy thanks to you guys but now I have another question (sorry my kids are awkward!!!). My 4 yr old autistic son likes to know where he is going and at other places We have visited they had guides with pictures explaining what's there are there any for DP? If not I will make one (or ask his nanny :-)) but I was just trying to save time :-) Thank you

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

I have a spare park map from when we went I could send you. I understand the importance of the planning as my dd has autistic traits (still waiting for a full diagnosis) only thing is it doesn't have the new ratatouille area on

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

I have a spare park map from when we went I could send you. I understand the importance of the planning as my dd has autistic traits (still waiting for a full diagnosis) only thing is it doesn't have the new ratatouille area on

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

Thank you for the offer that's really kind and I'm glad to find that I'm not alone in my worry! Getting a map is a great idea thank your for suggesting, don't worry about sending the map I can print one off I wouldn't want to worry you with postage! Did you have a good trip? And were there any things that your little one enjoyed or really hated? Thank you it's so helpful to know from someone else :-)

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

I showed her lots of videos of everything before we went from the eurostar, rides, parades and even character meet and great. Some people say this spoils the surprise but for her ( it was a week before her 4th bday) it took all her anxiety away so she could then get excited. I also had set markers during the day for instance the day we travelled she knew we got the train to London. Had breakfast. Got the disneyland train. Go to the shop to get autograph books, then be in disneyland. The access pass was a god send and I jut found we did things at her pace so yes we went on buzz and orbitron countless times. I was really surprised how well she coped. I took her buggy which helped as she could rest and for her that's also a bit of a safety net so when I could see she was getting agitated she would sit in her buggy and calm down. Any other questions ill be more then happy to help. I was soo anxious taking her cause I was going on my own and had never been before but it was the best deco I made and looking forward to our trip in december

glasgow
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

My son also has autism and we are going on the 27th of June. We have kept it as a big surprise as he has no concept of time and would keep on asking when we are going. I can't wait to see his wee face am so excited just thinking about it!! We also have bought a pair of ear defenders just incase and also have a copy of his dla award letter and a doctors note so hopefully we could get a disability pass x

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

Thanks yes videos are a great idea as I have the feeling meet and greets may scare him. I had already looked at getting a pass as he had no concept of waiting in line so I must remember the paperwork for that ( I should really make a list!) I will def take the buggy but because he is a twin I always feel bad putting him in there when his twin (not autistic) isn't but I do have a lead, I'm not sure if that's the right word as it sounds slightly mean but it is just a band around his wrist that I can attach to me or to a buggy to stop him running off. Ear defenders! Another thing I need to remember to pack, thank you! How did you find dining as my one is pretty fussy so looking at buffets and also did she cope ok with parades? As I can see mine getting either very bored or upset! So many questions , sorry but thank you so much for all your help :-)

glasgow
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

I can see us spending 4 days at McDonald's with chicken nugget happy meals!

Southampton
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

Hello , my daughter has autism and generally she needs to know EVERYTHING.

I went on dlrpmagic.com and they have a really good guide. Pictures and maps of everything.

I did a planner for the week mainly detailing which park on what day and where and what time for meals. That seemed to make her happy. Picked up plenty of park maps for her to study in the evenings.

We found that was fine she didn't need more than that. As long as I had lunch dinner and plenty of gluten free goodies she was pretty happy.

Go to city hall when you get there and get the disability pass. Invaluable with a child that doesn't understand queuing.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

I found she ate better in the table restaurants as the buffet was to much for her to choose from. The parades did tire me out as I had to give her a running commentary but getting her to wave at the characters help esp when they wave or blow kisses back. She absolutely loved dreams. The main thing that caused her melt down was the shuttle bus in the morning. The characters are also amazing when it came to seeing winnie the pooh the cm told the character she was autistic and because she was unsure hehe character sat on the floor and let her go to him.

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any ready-made autistic guides on DP?

Thank you for the website it looks fantastic for planning things out for him. Hmmmm I'm stuck now because I can see him being overwhelmed but at buffets before I have picked his food so maybe it will work but thanks for the heads up. I think the parades he will struggle with, he will prop get bored and try to run off and when me or my husband grabs him he will have a meltdown so is there anywhere I could take him while the rest if the family watch the parade? He will adore dreams as he loves colours in the sensory room and fireworks but I must remember ear protectors for the noise! The bus sounds like an issue where did you stay? We are staying at NY so I may just walk if it's too busy thanks for mentioning this :-) very excited but scared first holiday (I don't count business trips as holiday but sometimes they are more relaxing than family holidays!!!)without a nanny or kids club on hand. That makes it sound like I don't spend holidays with the kids, I do bit I'm sure you all understand that autistic children are tiring so it's nice to have a break especially seeing I have a 7yr old, twin 4yr olds and a 2yr old! It's also the first holiday where it's unpredictable as in we can do a number of rides in any order, whereas before it's been beach, sightseeing or shopping and we return to LA every year (to see hubby's parents) so this is an added treat of different scenery and I'm probably more excited than they are! I'm gonna stop rambling now sorry :-) thanks again you are all amazing!