We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

Hi all, I wrote day one on Thursday night whilst at the Travelodge. It only just using the Cheyenne wifi in the bar!

Myself, The Husband, son (11), Daughter (8).

Day one, Norwich to Kings Cross/St. Pancras.

You know, sometimes I can be really quite organised. It's not a constant thing though, but I do surprise myself occasionally. For instance, I make ALL travel arrangements for our holidays, and this time I had managed to pre book the free tickets to the dinosaur walk through at the Natural History Museum for 16:30. Our train would arrive at Liverpool Street about 13:50, one tube ride to Kings Cross to dump luggage, then back on the tube for another single journey to South Kensington for said museum visit. What could possibly go wrong?

The husband finished packing approximately 25 minutes before the taxi arrived to take us to Norwich train station. I had helped him (if gathering and dumping stuff in front of the suitcases is helping of course) and was busying myself moaning at the kids to stop bickering whilst simultaneously checking, re-checking and re-re-checking that the passports/train tickets/ travelodge confirmation/Eurostar tickets/Disney confirmation etc, etc were in my handbag (just incase they'd somehow teleported themselves out of my bag while I wasn't looking/moaning at kids). General multi tasking sort of thing.

Taxi arrived a few minutes early and usually takes about 7-10 minutes to get to the station. For reasons known only to the cabby, we went the long way around and it took at least 25 minutes! Now, I'm all for a bit of scenery but both my kids get car sick and felt really unwell by the time we arrived (it doesn't take them long)!

Anyway so far, sort of so good.

Spend the best part of a tenner on a magazine each for the kids, yes I am rather stingy as most of you know by now, but come on, the Dandy was like 30p or something when I was a kid! Then wait for the train.

All comfy around our table seats, daughter reading her magazine, son discarding his as soon as he'd inspected the 'free' gifts, get all the way to Colchester when - blow me down with a feather- does the ticket inspector announce that the ruddy trains broken down, and can we all get off and head to the train behind? Well as we have lots of cases and a couple of kids, we're among the last to alight. Now for some maths. Our train was quite full. It had 10 carriages. The new train had 3 carriages. It wasn't pleasant. At least I got to sit down though! And if that wasn't insult enough, our original train had no more stops between Colchester and London Liverpool Street. Our new train had 6 stops and added about 40 minutes to the journey. I have, by this time, abandoned family to sit on the floor with the luggage while I have a comfy seat. I did offer daughter to sit on my lap but she couldn't bare to leave her cute suitcase. Fair enough. I didn't offer 11 year old son the same option, can you imagine the sheer humiliation of such an offer? He probably would never have spoken to me again, ever!

Daughter is getting rather anxious now, in case we miss our Dino reservation, but we could still make it.

So, head to the tube ( we don't get lost on the tube anymore, do get the wrong one occasionally, but tend to realise before we've travelled to far in the opposite direction {an exception being when daughter and I ended up in Brooklyn in March whilst travelling across Manhattan}) so no problems here.

Get off at Kings Cross where we pause as I search every nook and cranny of my bag for my directions to the Travelodge Royal Scot.

Now, I still maintain that we would have found it much quicker if son hadn't been giving his best rendition of 'it's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new lihihiiife for...' You get the picture.

If I'm honest, I'm not the best at following directions. Even if I'm the one who wrote down the directions. We start off alright

Son: 'fish in the sea... You know how I feel'

Me: hang on a minute, this is important

Son: birds in the skyhi... You know how I...'

Me: Hang on son just let me

Son: it's a new dawn

Me: SON, hang on'

Annoying charity bloke: 'hiya guys, how are you to..'

Me: 'NO. THANK YOU'

Son: 'it's a new daayy'

Me: 'HUSBAND! Go and ask that bloke where the s*dding Travelodge Royal Scot is PLEASE'

The husband sniffs and knows from bitter experience to just hold any retaliation until later (he's a good sort!) and asks the bloke at the cafe where it is.

The bloke at the cafe gets up and points us down an alley, slightly dubious as to whether to actually go down there or not, torn between protective mother mode and painfully polite Brit mode, chose the latter in the end out of desperation and found the Travelodge a couple of minutes later. Well, found the back of it, took a further three minutes to realise we were at the back and to find the entrance. Hooray Travelodge!

Hang on, de ja vu. I've been here before. No, really, this looks a bit familiar. Like the Travelodge Kings Cross CENTRAL that we stayed in in February! Gave up a bit now and headed in, approach the chap with 'hi, this isn't the Royal Scot is it?'

Of course it ruddy wasn't. Got directions.

It is hot. Son is still singing, daughters feet ache, husband is lugging two massive cases. And we walk.

And find it yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh!

Travelodge woman: I'm sorry we haven't got any family rooms left, would you like isto check you into a different hotel?'

Dear reader, what would you do?

Me (on a restrained politeness): 'no thank you.'

So the incredibly lovely Travelodge woman books us into two rooms next to each other and then gives us a free evening meal each!!!! FREE FREE FREE!

This made it all better!

Finished our lovely meal (totally missed the museum ticket times so promise a return at some point during the holidays), then head back out to St Pancras to print our tickets for the morning and so we would know the way, and back up to the room (taking the stairs to the third floor as now not only has daughter regained her terror of lifts, but son decides that he is now terrified of them as well. Great.

I'm writing this in bed in the Travelodge (though have no free wifi so won't get to post it now) with daughter asleep.

Knackered from Norwich.

Day two to follow.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

By the way, I might not get to post any more until I get back!

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

Jo know I love her to bits so I'm free to say this - how the heck do you always manage to get so gloriously lost??!!

Fabulous start, as always. Hope you're having more fun than you can poke a stick at xx

Edited: 26 July 2014, 18:47
Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

Jo knows I love her to bits so I'm free to say this - how the heck do you always manage to get so gloriously lost??!!

Fabulous start, as always. Hope you're having more fun than you can poke a stick at xx

Barnstaple, United...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

Fabulous read but must have been a stressful start. Do you write for a magazine/paper/write books for a job as you have a great style.

have a wonderful holiday

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

Just realised the fact you're posting means you managed the change at Lille - well done!

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

Lol Lelly! I was just thinking on the train on the way, that this will probably be the first trip report I write in which we don't get lost! Yeah right, jinxed that slightly!

Thank you Busnae! No I don't write anything except trip reports - I must stop being so lazy and write a book or something lol!

Right, we're off to the park, hoping we get to see Dreams...

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

DD says Hi to DD! Fingers crossed for Dreams!

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

Oh yes, we managed the change Lelly, more on that later, but it was much easier than I'd anticipated!

Barnstaple, United...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

I would buy it! Happy hols

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report, July 25th - 29th Cheyenne, Indirect Eurostar.

Ahh, my dd says hi to your dd too!