We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrible reviews

swansea
Level Contributor
872 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Terrible reviews

Was board today so looked at tripadvisor

A series of really terrible reviews for dlp during august

Do you hunk it's a bad month to visit

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Terrible reviews

Could possibly be due to the volume of people that go in August. They cant please everyone, so at peak times there will be more complaints than a low season. But I should imagine its all in proportion could be wrong though. Unfortunately people complain more than they praise.

St Andrews, United...
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Terrible reviews

I feel people don't plan their trips, and an August visit really does need an action plan.

Perhaps people who just didn't look into things enough?

If they're not a regular reviewer on TA I just ignore it ;)

England, U.K
Level Contributor
626 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Terrible reviews

I think a lot of visitors who go in general are unprepared, in August it is worse as there are more visitors. We got back last week; whilst it was busy, with planning, it was a great time for a trip. We knew the importance of making ADR's, the need for using EMH, the importance of getting to the Studios for opening to ride Ratatouille straight away so that we were riding lots of other rides whilst other people were then in the line over 2 hours long. We used fast pass a lot and we found the return times were usually really good (as in an hour or 2 after we got the ticket and that included late into the afternoon). We had a fab trip as we were prepared and could make sensible decisions as we went along (including knowing when to have a break back at the hotel for a few hours to relax and recharge before going back into the parks). We saw many visitors there who did not have a clue; thought FP was an extra paid service, one man we chatted to in the Fantasia bar didn't even know there were 2 parks! Was it busy? Yes. Did the rain spoil things? Yes a little. But did we have a great time? Yes we did and can't wait to go back!!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Terrible reviews

I agree, people tend to be more vocal with their complaints than their praise. However, our experience today wasn't great and if I was a first timer and today was all I had to go on then I'd be pretty disappointed.

We encountered numerous breakdowns, disgusting toilets and a couple of rude CMs.

Barnstaple, United...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Terrible reviews

We were there last week mon to fri staying at SL golden forest club. Like you, I had read mixed reviews and was prepared for some negatives. We had a fantastic time and have no complaints. In fact we spent the whole time praising customer service and attention to detail. I think I am quite fussy when it comes to customer service. So is my husband and also he isn't a disney film fan like me but we both came away wanting to return. My trip report is not quite finished as I started it as a live report but ran out of time, but that will give you an idea about an August trip.

I was expecting rubbish food. We had a standard meal plan and ate at Agrabah cafe (absolutely loved it) cafe mickey (yummy pizzas, good Caesar salad, plenty of it and great character interaction). Plaza gardens and la grange pleased with them all. We also had counter service at colonol Haithis which we enjoyed. I remember reading a review where someone wasn't happy about cafe mickey where they hadn't seen all the characters but left whereas we hadn't seen mickey and we asked when he was coming back so waited.

We loved sequoia lodge and golden forest, glad we did it.

Use the forum, we planned meals for quiet times and never queued, I was also mindful of what time buffets closed when I booked. I felt prepared and really feel it helped.

We had lots of great character interaction

Hope you have a great time

Barnstaple, United...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Terrible reviews

Ah Lelly,that's a shame. Toilets surprised me last week. Annoying they can keep on top of it one week/day and not next. Manners and clean toilets are actually 2 things that should be easy to maintain.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Terrible reviews

Ohh Lelly doesnt sound good at all! And I completely understand that some people are genuinely disappointed but as others say alot of bad reviews are down to lack of preparation and planning. Hope the rest of your trip is better than today.

Neath, United...
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Terrible reviews

as with any other line of customer service/store whether it's DLP or buying a new tv from the high street, if some people think they have been unfairly treated they will take to review sites to vent anger, that is the power of the internet and forum/social websites these days, you will always find that the poor reviews for anything will always outweigh the good reviews because people will expect a certain level of service.

at the same time you can use sites like these to your advantage by doing research and planning

not just for DLP/holidays but for anything you may be considering for purchase if it's a new tv or buying a new car.

I frequent another forum called avforums and one of the most often asked questions is about HDMI cables, some places will try to sell you the most expensive cable in store when a 5£ cable from tesco will give the same performance as a cable costing 10£ or 50£

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
54,160 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Terrible reviews

Oh dear - sorry to hear you had a disappointing day Lelly. Hope Inventions Brunch made it worthwhile.

I agree with other comments on here - I don't read the general reviews of DLP because some just make me mad. They go in the summer holidays, and moan about queue times and crowds. They moan if it is too hot, and moan if it is too cold, or too wet. Some give really gross inaccuracies, which are not helpful at all. Yes, reviews are personal opinions, but they should be factually correct, and some are not. If people go without doing any research or planning, especially during a peak time, they are not going to have the best experience.

I'm going to Alton Towers for two days this week, and I expect it to be crowded, long queue lines unless we buy Fastpasses, some ride breakdowns, smoking everywhere, and rubbish not cleared up regularly. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Barnstaple, United...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Terrible reviews

Maybe that is why my experience so positive Figgy, because I was realistic in expectations for August.