We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help deciding!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
need help deciding!

So I have invited my cousin and her ds (4) to come to Disney again with me and DS in november :-))) In february we stayed in the GF in SL which she loved but now I want to do something different. My choices are:

1. Standard room in DLH - this is a hotel that would blow her socks of!! The location, the breakfast, the service all huge plus points.

2. Empire state room at the HNY. We would then get the VIP pass, which will be very handy for the last 2 days of our trip (going wednesday evening till sunday evening) We did go back to SL for tea and in the afternoon and on the wed/thursday/friday it will be great to have the lounge with free drinks. Downside, I have never really liked the look of the NY. we have never stayed there but I just think it is not very Disney looking?

both options cost about the same.

So, over to you...........:)

ps.I did look into a suite at SL but it would be 400 pounds more expensive then these two options and would mean the kids would have to share the sofa bed which would not really work for us.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 21:08
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help deciding!

just saw that the both pools are closed on these dates :(

ireland
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: need help deciding!

If it were us id go for the dlh , the location alone would be enough for me esp in the nov weather ; )

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help deciding!

that is swaying me, but I am going to assume the parks are mad busy on the weekend so the vip pass will be a godsend then. And with the park closing at 7pm on the first 3 nights of our trip it would be nice to have the lounge with free drinks in the evenings. It's mad that both pools are closed at the same time though :(

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help deciding!

I think DLH will be best option. Just remembered about the characters being at emh in the parks. So DLH will be perfect for this as we could hit the park and then go back for brekkie at about 10am. And hopefully we will get most things done the first 2 days sot hat we can take it easier on the weekend...............I can feel the itch of the Castle Club again!!

Neath, United...
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need help deciding!

Hi Amanda, tough choice you have there

I have stayed at NYH a while ago. I did like the hotel, I agree its the least Disneyfied of the onsite hotels compared to the DLH but I think its aimed at a different market not families with young children and more aimed towards couples/mature guests, Indigo just booked NYH for Feb next year.

they both have the hot and cold breakfast options.

so I think the choice comes down to location/ a real Disney Hotel against a VIP fast pass, and as you say you will be there over a weekend, IMO I would go for the VIP pass.

another way to look at it is a hotel is just somewhere to sleep as you will be in the parks/village most of the day.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help deciding!

thanks welshie :) I have to say that with a smallie with us, we did actually go back to the hotel each day in feb and made good use of the GF drinks and snacks - although of course we can take a kettle and plenty of snacs with us too. I think if it was just me and dS we would do ny for sure, but i just keep imaging my cousins face when we turn up at DLH!

Have thougth of another option! We could do dlh and buy one of the vip fastpasses from ebay again to use on the last 2 days of our trip! arggggggggggggg help being all a dither lol!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help deciding!

If I had any chance I would stay at the DLH I know you've done cc before Amanda so a lot to live up too but even my boys want to stay in the big pink one :):):) go for it !!

Neath, United...
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: need help deciding!

have they been before Amanda, how likely are they to visit again after this trip, if it's a one off trip for them, then I would push the boat out for a little bit more magic and stay at DLH

ireland
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: need help deciding!

Go for the dhl hotel you know you want to : ) , been able to pop back to the room would def sway it for me!!! Also brekkie after emh would be perfect!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need help deciding!

You get one fastpass a day at DLH don't you? If it's supes busy the VIP fastpass and hotel NY might be the winner...