We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

Brighton
Level Contributor
123 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

Hello all, I wondered if anyone who has actually been on the new ratatouille ride could shed some light on why it's advised expectant mothers should not ride. All I've heard is glowing reviews about how smooth the ride is, so was very surprised to learn it's not recommended. Lap bar? Evacuation access?

Would appreciate any insight anyone can offer. Thanks!

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,830 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

Hi Minkoir, it is one of the smoothest rides in resort! It is, as far as I can make out, only the metal lap bar that makes it unsuitable for expectant mothers. Super frustrating!

Brighton
Level Contributor
123 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

Thanks jofar, that's really helpful to understand.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
54,136 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

Hi,

Yes, I assume it is the lap bar, so I guess it depends on how obvious the pregnancy is, and how advanced. A small bump under a coat won't notice, so staff would not know the lady is pregnant. All reports do say that the ride is very smooth so jerkiness should not be a problem, or evacuation down a ladder, like on Peter Pan's Flight.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,830 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

The same applies to Flying Carpets over Agrabah, it has a metal lap bar as well and there's the sign 'expectant mothers may not ride'. If Dumbo is suitable (and Orbitron!!) then the bar must be the only reason as these two rides both have seat belts.

Not allowed on Slinky Dog either, and that has a lap bar too. In fact, there really isn't that many rides for pregnant ladies at all. Plenty of other things to see and do of course.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 17:38
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,136 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

Pinocchio and Snow White also have a lap bar as far as I remember. They can both be rather jerky.

Brighton
Level Contributor
123 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

Thanks for your help all. There are quite a lot of rides that are deemed safe, but also some really tame ones that aren't. I've been reading blogs from pregnant people who have visited DLP and gone on rides they shouldn't - I'm talking Phantom Manor here, not Space Mountain :) - so it's really helpful to know some first-hand experiences of rides to come to a sensible decision about whether something is suitable for the individual or not.

Thanks for your help as always, fountain of knowledge!

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,136 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

Disney have to cover themselves by saying Not Suitable For Expectant Mothers, but it's a question of using common sense really. Phantom Manor has a lap bar that comes down, but I wouldn't call it a jerky ride.

essex, uk
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

I was coming on to ask a similar question. I'll be 19 weeks at DLP so will be able to cover my bump and won't have a problem with a lap bar. Which rides say "not for pregnant women" but actually aren't jerky and you would/have done while pregnant?

uk
Level Contributor
830 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

It will def be The bar . this is such smooth ride as said .

Brighton
Level Contributor
123 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ratatouille the ride - why can't pregnant women ride?

Hi sal, when are you going? I'd be happy to share my experience in the parks if it would help you before you go. We travel September 7th - 11th.

Here is disney's accessibility guide, there are charts covering all the rides with ticks or crosses for expectant mothers.

disneylandparis.com/BROCHURE/…index.htm

Here is one of the blogs I found useful on the subject of lap bars:

…wordpress.com/2012/…

Sounds like this lady's strategy was to sit sideways in her seat, which doesn't sound particularly enjoyable! At 19 weeks I'm sure you'll not have much bump related problem with rides.

Get answers to your questions about Disneyland Paris
More Disneyland Paris Topics