We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
269 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

I would like to hear from anyone who has stayed at the Malecon House or nearby and didn't rent a car. Did you simply walk and enjoy the area? Could you walk to a nice beach - such as Sun Bay Beach or Esperanza Beach? Were there enough restaurants in the area? Did you use the publicos at all? Lastly, is the "Green Store" (La Trenda Verde) nearby? One of the Bio Bay tour groups pick up clients there.

My husband and I will be staying for four days over Christmas. We mainly want to spend Christmas relaxing at a nice beach, take a Bio Bay Tour and enjoy the local culture. We would like to see the fort but that may not be an option without a car. I know that a car is recommended to explore the beaches but that is not a priority for us. One or two nice beaches will be fine for us.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

You can do everything you mentioned from just about any accomadtion in Esperanza. but if you do not want to explore our island , why Vieques?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
269 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

Here's why we chose Vieques. We spent a week in Old San Juan last Christmas and loved it. We want to return this Christmas, but would like to add a little beach time to our vacation. We looked at the beach options near Old San Juan such as Condado and Ocean Park. They did not interest us. However, Vieques did. We like the lack of high-rise hotels in Vieques and its natural beauty.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

The walk to Playa Sun Bay, if you follow the beach vs. the road, is about a mile. It would probably take you about 30 minutes. La Tienda Verde (the Green Store) is a 10- 15 minute walk. There are numerous restaurants and publicos should be easy to get.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

I will add, the green store is on the way to sun bay.

you can map out your walk with google maps

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
269 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

Thanks that is helpful as I know approximately where Sun Bay Beach is.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

I think Google will only map your route along roads, even if in walking mode. That route is less direct than the beach route, but yes, it will take you past La Tienda Verde.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
269 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

Thanks!

Mexico
Level Contributor
107 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

I stayed At the malecon house in january. No car, shared a publicos from airport to hotel. You can basically walk the malecon in esperanza from one end to the other in say 5 minutes. I walked to sun bay, restaurants, and little store up the street from malecon house. My favorite restUrants in Esperanza were El Quenepo, reservations recommended, dinner only, and Bili for lunch and dinner which is right next door to El Quenepo at far end of the malecon. Closer, almost next door to malecon house, i really loved lazy jacks, a casual outdoor bar and restaurant. Killer painkillers and good tacos, pizza, burgers, super friendly staff and bartenders. I would also recommend Next Course, too far to walk so shared a cab with a couple who wanted to eat there too. The publics didnt seem to expense to me, i got lucky sharing on arrival And departure to airport.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
269 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

Thanks! Helpful information.

10. Re: Has anyone Stayed at Malecon House or Nearby Without a Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2017, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Esperanza
Recent Conversations