We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

Newyork, NY
Level Contributor
173 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

We are staying at Westin at Kaanapali Parkway, Lahaina. Need advise on Snorkeling Tours near our hotel. We would be snorkeling for the first time. Also what is best time for snorkeling? Morning or Afternoon?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,265 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

Morning tours are generally the calmest. Teralani, Trilogy and Gemini all board from Kaanapali Beach in front of Whaler's Village right next to the Westin. When are you visiting?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

Mornings are almost always better, due to calmer conditions. For a beginner snorkeler, I'd recommend starting at a beach like Kapalua, which is well sheltered and has good coral and fish, very close to shore. Of course, always look at conditions, before jumping in.

There's a link on the right side of the maui forum page, with suggestions for snorkeling locations.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

sorry, just saw that you were asking about tours, not beach snorkeling. In that case, what mamma said. :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

Always snorkel as early as you can whether it be by tour or shore snorkeling. This way you can take advantage of the great conditions. The winds pick up in the late morning/early afternoon hours. Choppy water makes for poor visibility.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,227 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

Aloha,

Normally, I agree with what Fuzz said--and post it myself often too, esp. with reference to offshore snorkeling or trips to Molokini. But the West side cats have done their picnic snorkel trips from around 10-11 AM to 3 or so for years, with great success (otherwise they wouldn't still be in business!). Our conditions are different at midday on the west than down south.

Newyork, NY
Level Contributor
173 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

Thank you all for your responses so far! I am travelling with two small kids age 3 and 4. Do you suggest taking them to the snorkeling tour with us? Would it be challenging to snorkel since we would be snorkeling for the first time too?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,227 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

Aloha,

77, I posted (as did others) in your other thread about the kids. Reading now that this will be your first time, I am even more convinced the snorkel trip should be a "date day".

One things you should all do--rent some gear, and try snorkeling in the pool first. It's not the same as in the ocean, but will give you all a chance to learn how the breathing works, and to get used to the tube and mask some. You should also rent vests.

Also, Gemini, which leaves from the Westin-has view boards on the cat, as well as prescription masks, just FYI. They provide all gear, but you could also bring your own.

Edited: 21 November 2011, 01:11
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

Let's see, I would not take kids that age on a snorkel cruise unless they are both good swimmers, they both have had a chance to snorkel in the pool and enjoy it. You would want to have your pediatrician prescribe or recommend a dose of antiemetic for them and maybe some for you if you haven't been out in the open ocean. I would not want to spend hundreds of dollars only to have everybody puking over the side of the boat, too sick to get in the water. I think the youngest kid I would take is a 6 year old and only after extensive time snorkeling in the pool and only if he/she is really passionate about doing a trip like that. I will say that some preschoolers are really good about following directions and staying seated for their safety - most do good for short periods. But with a 4 hour boat trip where you CANNOT go back, most are gonna have a melt down at some point.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

Totally agree with Julauf. Kids are 3 and 4? How about just go play in the sand and shallows. My grandkids are 3, almost 5 and 61/2. All have spent lots of time in the pool, but I can only imagine the oldest snorkeling IN THE OCEAN. But only under really good conditions.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kapalua/Kaanapali Snorkeling

Aside from your tour, you might take the kids one day to Kapalua Bay. If you go to the far left side on a calm day there is shallow water where the fish will often come in close.

Its a sandy bottom there which is good because the kids, and all beginning snorkelers, need to learn about the fragile nature of our coral reefs.

When your kids take a break, you might go out on the right side where you'll see some gorgeous coral formations and lots of sea life. It's one of my favorite spots on Maui. Have a great trip

Dave