We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Kapalua to kahului

Dallas
2 posts
Save Topic
from Kapalua to kahului

I am staying in Marriott in Kapalua and have to go to KONA. I am thinking of taking a bus from Kapalua to go to Kahului airport and take my flight from there instead of flying from Kapalua, going to Honolulu then KONA. Not sure how long the bus ride will take. Please advice

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,694 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Kapalua to kahului

The Marriot is on Kaanapali Beach about 15 minutes south of Kapalua.

A bus would take a looong time. A better bet would be to book a shuttle to the airport...speedishuttle.com or executiveshuttle.com.

How are you getting to the hotel in the first place?

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from Kapalua to kahului

There is no Marriott in Kapalua, perhaps you mean Ka'anapali? It's really a nightmare trying to get to the Airport using the Maui bus system, and there are also luggage restrictions. Depending on your route, the bus could require three transfers & perhaps several hours or more. I'd look into a private shuttle.

Here is a link to the Maui public transit site, where you can download the routes & schedule:

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?NID=609

Aloha, NKO

Dallas
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: from Kapalua to kahului

Thank you for your reply. We will be staying at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club. We will be using Kapalua West Maui Airport because this is closer to the hotel. We probably take a cab from this airport or a shuttle to bring us to Marriott. Our plan is after staying 5 days in Marriott we will go to KONA but I noticed that there's no direct flight from Kapalua airport to Kona. We have to fly back to Honolulu then take a connection to Kahului airport to get to KONA. I think it will be lesser time and economical to take a bus from Kapalua to get to Kahului airport but I don't know how long the bus ride or a shuttle? a taxe probably too expensive. What do you recommend? I appreciate your advice.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,694 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from Kapalua to kahului

Contact www.speedishuttle.com or www.mauishuttle.com , when you give them your flight number they will give you a pick-up time.

It will take an hour to an hour and a half or so by shuttle.

It will cost about $60 for 2 people...a taxi will be about $100.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,777 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from Kapalua to kahului

<<"I think it will be lesser time and economical to take a bus from Kapalua to get to Kahului airport...">>

If you're going from the Marriott, you'll be leaving from Kaanapali, not Kapalua.

Here's the route ... you can put your date and the time that you need to arrive at the airport to get exact times: http://tinyurl.com/8g7uxpf (hopefully you could shave an hour off of the 3 hours indicated if you can connect in Lahaina without that hour wait... just not sure how you would determine that in advance ... i.e. will bus # 25 arrive in time to connect right away with #20? ... if not, it's a one hour wait.

Here's the rules regarding luggage: http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?NID=606

Are you able to rent a car for your stay on Maui? That would solve a lot of problems ... if so, your best bet would be to fly in and out of OGG.

Edited: 21 September 2012, 19:27
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,546 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from Kapalua to kahului

I too was just on the Maui Bus website and found you would have to take four different buses to get to the airport with a travel time of nearly 5 hrs. Better get a shuttle or leave from the Kapalua airport.

www.mauicounty.gov/index.aspx?NID=1310

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,777 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from Kapalua to kahului

The link I provided above said 3 buses & 3 hours and 20 minutes, & with any luck, 2 hours 20 minutes if #25 arrives in Lahaina before #20 leaves. But I agree, a shuttle instead of the bus, or using the Kapalua airport makes more sense ... or renting a car if possible for the duration of their stay on Maui.

8. Re: from Kapalua to kahului

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 00:35
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,793 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: from Kapalua to kahului

Above reported as SPAM, since Jim B keeps cutting and pasting this in multiple threads.

Naalehu, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: from Kapalua to kahului

So I assume that you disagree with my assessment. If so, why don't we have a conversation so that I can update your expert advice in regards to Marriott.

Get answers to your questions about Kapalua
Recent Conversations