We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapalua or Napili in March?

Which Kapalua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
349 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Kapalua or Napili in March?

My husband and I are planning our first-ever trip to Hawaii for March 2014. We are looking to stay somewhere quieter and are thinking Kapalua or Napili based on what we're read. Any recommendations on one location over the other? We would like to stay on the beach with easy access to snorkeling. We don't golf. We do love great food and would like to be somewhere that makes it easy to get to a variety of restaurants.

Thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,457 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kapalua or Napili in March?

Napili and Kapalua are virtually right next to each other. Where to stay will be dependent on what your nightly accommodations budget is. There are restaurants around the area but the vast majority of them will be found about 10 minutes down the road in Kaanapali or 15 minutes drive into Lahaina.

In March, you will find varying weather and ocean conditions. It can be a bit rainy with higher surf as opposed to the summer months.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
349 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kapalua or Napili in March?

Thanks for your reply. We'd like to keep it under $300/night and are thinking a condo rental would be our best bet. I'm also wondering, is there heavy traffic between Kaanapali and Lahaina? Is it easy to find parking near the restaurants in both areas?

Again, thanks for the information.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kapalua or Napili in March?

Take a look at the Napili Kai. We've never found traffic to be a major issue between those areas. There is a parking garage at Whaler's Village and tons of paid parking lots in Lahaina.

Level Contributor
34,455 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kapalua or Napili in March?

Both places are beautiful! Napili is more quiet. :)

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kapalua or Napili in March?

If it's easy beach access you want, go for Napili Bay. Another vote here for Napili Kai. It sits right on Napili Beach and you are also a 3 minute walk across the parking lot to Kapalua Beach. Great snorkeling at both beaches. Virtually all of the properties along Napili Bay will put you literally steps from the sand.

Any of the Kapalua options will require a bit of a walk or ride to a beach. In Kapalua, the Residences (pricey) are adjacent to Kapalua Beach. The Ritz is a fair bit uphill from the shore and shuttles guests back and forth to DT Flemming beach with golf carts. A few of the Villas sit above Oneloa beach but that is not a good swimming beach.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kapalua or Napili in March?

On the beach would be Napili Kai. They have a restaurant. Plus there is Merrimans next door and Pineapple Grill

across the street.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kapalua or Napili in March?

Napili Kai is wonderful. Might be a bit over budget - I think the updated studios are about $400 per night. You can't beat the location; the beach is beautiful and so is Kapalua.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kapalua or Napili in March?

Hmm, to me Kapalua seems more quiet than Napili. It is more spread out. And even though both Napili Bay beach and Kapalua Bay beach can be somewhat crowded, Napili seems more so to me because of the several condo complexes that are closer to the beach. Kapalua is much larger and includes three beaches, two golf courses, lots of trails as well as resorts and restaurants. There is free Kapalua shuttle for anyone staying there.

So I guess it depends on what you mean by quiet. Kapalua is larger than Napili, so there is more going on there, but it is spread out over a much larger area.

My impressions of Napili are a small sweet, old time Hawai'ian family area with a beautiful crescent beach.

My impressions of Kapalua are of a peaceful, elegant area where wild natural Hawai'i meets lovely resorts. We fell in love with the views from the Kapalua Coastal Trail in January.

We are considering a Kapalua Bay Villa for our March trip. If I could afford Napili Kai I would consider that as well, but I think an oceanfront unit there may be over your budget too. This will be our 7th trip to Maui and we always worried about the weather in that area, but have decided we want to give it a try.

Good luck on your plans!

Edited: 28 June 2013, 19:47
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kapalua or Napili in March?

You'll have a wider range of options at Napili, where there's good snorkeling, and still be within walking distance of snorkeling at Kapalua. But neither has a wide variety of dining options without getting into a car.

I agree with mamma about parking in paid lots in Lahaina and Kaanapali. There's lots of streetside parking in Lahaina too, but you could spend half your vacation driving around looking for an open spot.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
349 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kapalua or Napili in March?

Thanks everyone! I think we're leaning toward Napili at this point, but also possibly Honokeana Bay. Any recommendations on lodging there?